?
Solved

Exchange 2007 error message Event ID 1022 Logon Failure

Posted on 2010-09-08
5
Medium Priority
?
4,905 Views
Last Modified: 2012-08-13
I am getting a repeated error message in the event log.  There have not been any major change to the Exchange server.  It is running okay and it has been running fine for months.  The logs are purged regularly and the disk space is great.  

I have searched around for an answer to determine the cause.  The biggest problem here is that the mailbox is not identified in the error message.

The only thing that I know I changed yesterday was removing a couple of Alias email addresses from my account and creating them on the network administrator's account.

Also, the edgetransport service is jumping back and forth at 40% of the CPU cycles.

Can someone offer some direction in figuring this cause of this issue?

Thanks.
William

Below is the error in full:
Log Name:      Application
Source:        MSExchangeIS Mailbox Store
Date:          9/8/2010 12:26:09 PM
Event ID:      1022
Task Category: Logons
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      XXX-EXCHANGE.abc.com
Description:
Logon Failure on database "First Storage Group\Mailbox Database" - Windows account NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM; mailbox /o=TBB/ou=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)/cn=Recipients/cn=Journal.
Error: 1245
Client Machine: XXX-EXCHANGE
Client Process: edgetransport.exe
Client ProcessId: 0
Client ApplicationId: Client=Hub Transport
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="MSExchangeIS Mailbox Store" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="49168">1022</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>16</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-09-08T17:26:09.000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>897416993</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>XXX-EXCHANGE.abc.com</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM</Data>
    <Data>/o=TBB/ou=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)/cn=Recipients/cn=Journal</Data>
    <Data>1245</Data>
    <Data>First Storage Group\Mailbox Database</Data>
    <Data>XXX-EXCHANGE</Data>
    <Data>edgetransport.exe</Data>
    <Data>0</Data>
    <Data>Client=Hub Transport</Data>
    <Binary>FE2927FC69D9F445B88F1BEB379E0B685B444941475F4354585D000056000000FFD41800000000000002480000003A67F01FFE0000000359201000000000E83240100F010480A41D40100F010480A41940100F010480841240100500078059164010DD04000059194010DD04000097084010DD040000</Binary>
  </EventData>
</Event>
0
Comment
Question by:wjolson
[X]
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
  • 3
5 Comments
 
LVL 6

Expert Comment

by:Gunter17
ID: 33629821
It is referring to the Exchange 2003 "Compatibility" Administrative Group - was the old Storage Group journaled?

Was this an Upgrade from 2003->2007/2010?
0
 

Author Comment

by:wjolson
ID: 33629957
No.  This is the first exchange server in the domain.  Prior to its existence there was a Novell GroupWise server in the environment.  The accounts were migrated nearly 2 years ago and life has been good.  I did have to create the Public Folders after the initial install to use SalesOutlook.  I haven't done anything with the Jounal functions myself.
0
 
LVL 34

Accepted Solution

by:
Shreedhar Ette earned 2000 total points
ID: 34079168
Hi,

Refer this previously answered question:
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Software/Server_Software/Email_Servers/Exchange/Q_26242942.html

Hope this helps,
Shree
0
 

Author Closing Comment

by:wjolson
ID: 34079236
The problem was an account set  up for a Barracuda email archive server had over run its storage limit.  It was causing the failure to logon to the Exchange box.
1
 

Author Comment

by:wjolson
ID: 34079238
let me clarify by saying that the Exchange Email account called "EmailJournal" was archiving email to the Barracuda server.  That "user" account filled up and exceeded the Exchange user storage limit.
0

Featured Post

Get real performance insights from real users

Key features:
- Total Pages Views and Load times
- Top Pages Viewed and Load Times
- Real Time Site Page Build Performance
- Users’ Browser and Platform Performance
- Geographic User Breakdown
- And more

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Background Information Recently I have fixed file server permission issues for one of my client. The client has 1800 users and one Windows Server 2008 R2 domain joined file server with 12 TB of data, 250+ shared folders and the folder structure i…
I was prompted to write this article after the recent World-Wide Ransomware outbreak. For years now, System Administrators around the world have used the excuse of "Waiting a Bit" before applying Security Patch Updates. This type of reasoning to me …
This tutorial will walk an individual through the steps necessary to join and promote the first Windows Server 2012 domain controller into an Active Directory environment running on Windows Server 2008. Determine the location of the FSMO roles by lo…
This tutorial will show how to configure a new Backup Exec 2012 server and move an existing database to that server with the use of the BEUtility. Install Backup Exec 2012 on the new server and apply all of the latest hotfixes and service packs. The…
Suggested Courses

752 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question