Note: Domain names and GUID have been changed for security reasons.
This is a basic DNS "huh?" situation that I've run into before and don't recall how I fixed it. (I think it's the same one)
Anyone who has installed DNS on a DC knows it starts up and populates with a bunch of folders, most notably the msdcs, which, without will cause the notorious error in dcdiag:
Testing server: Default-First-Site-Name\defaultPDC
Starting test: Connectivity
The host deadbeef-9a74-4597-a702-2212969ee56e._msdcs.contoso.com
could not be resolved to an
IP address. Check the DNS server, DHCP, server name, etc
Although the Guid DNS name
couldn't be resolved, the server name (defaultPDC.contoso.com)
resolved to the IP address (192.168.1.105) and was pingable. Check
that the IP address is registered correctly with the DNS server.
......................... defaultPDC failed test Connectivity
All this server is creating is itself, the SOA and the "Same as parent" folder.
So, I deleted them and recreated them. I deleted them and removed the DNS server, and reinstalled it. I tried primary, secondary/linked to AD or not. Secure Updates or both. I ran ADSI Edit to scan the MicrosoftDNS entries to see what was in there (Nothing but root servers) yet I still occasionally get Event ID 4010 stating:
The DNS server encountered error deadbeef-9a74-4597-a702-22
attempting to load zone _msdcs.contoso.com from Active Directory. The DNS server will attempt to load this zone again on the next timeout cycle.
Frequently. So it is as though it is trying to do its job, it just can't.
There is only one NIC. It is pointed solely at itself (its IP, not the loopback address) as the only DNS server.
At the moment the HOSTS file in system32/drivers/etc/ does have a pointer to itself, just so critical services don't go nuts about not being able to find AD while trying to do something, but this being removed doesn't seem to fix the problem. (Or it would have already)
I've done the following, many times:
net stop netlogon
net start netlogon
net stop dns
net start dns
(It's in a batch file now)
I've reset dns with dnscmd /Config /BootMethod
I've checked and unchecked AD integration on the zone.
I've killed the zones and recreated them, creating _msdcs as a Forest level zone, and contosco.com as the Domain level zone; unfortunately even manually entering this didn't fix the failure to replicate.
I've tried to "Create Default Application Directory Partitions" but it tells me it already exists.
At this point I have no qualms resetting all of DNS (which I think I've done) to setup DNS from scratch. (We have a SUSE box running DNS on the network at the moment, but this one is not using it as a reference. The Windows 2003 box will become the new DNS server if it can be made functional)
Assumption I shouldn't be making but I've tried everything else: Everything seems to point to a problem within AD with faulty DNS records, but I cannot find them. I'm a novice with ADSIedit and there isn't much information regarding "What you should be deleting to fix DNS problems" available online.
Thanks you for any and all assistance,