How do I use Ajax to display progress through steps..
Posted on 2010-09-13
I am using ASP.Net with and I have read how to use the update progress control panel to display something while the page processes.
I want to take theis a step further and without going into the detail of exactly what the page is doing, if somebody could demo the following basics for me, that would be great..
I am trying to get my head around presenting the user with detailed progress as the server processes a number of steps (interacting with a database with some transactions that could take a long time).
Between some steps, I need the user to have the option to cancel.
Now, traditionally, there would be a lot of complete page post backs but I understand that Ajax can make this much simpler and look neater without posting the whole page back all the time.
The exercise below would probably do a lot for me in terms of understand the power of Ajax and ithe principals would be very useful to me in a lot of places.
Could somebody please tell me the aspx code and the VB (sorry, VB is the preferred language) for the following steps:
1. the page opens and a button is presented that says "go".
2. When the user presses go, an update panel says.."Doing step 1." This message is displayed as soon as the user presses go.
3. After 10 seconds (system.threading.wait is OK for now), the user is presented with the previous text plus on the next line.. "Completed step 1, doing step 2..."
4. After 10 seconds, the progress text is appended with "Completed step 2... do you want to do step 3?" Two buttons are presented with "Yes" and "no"
5. If the user presses "Yes", the buttons go away and the system waits for another 10 seconds and the progress text is appended with "Completed step 3. Done"
6. If the user presses no, the buttons go away and progress text is appended with "User decided to stop"