Discussion Board reply error

Created a standard webpart Discussion Board and can add discussion items OK but when tried to reply to item got error 'The page cannot be displayed'. After several attempts eventually worked when the item description was only 4 characters or less. looking at the response URL it appears to be excessively long, some elements seem to be repeated in the URL string e.g.

https://xx.xxxxxxx.com/theworks/OandR/TDMBE/Lists/Discussion%20Board/NewForm.aspx?RootFolder=%2ftheworks%2fOandR%2fTDMBE%2fLists%2fDiscussion%20Board%2fhave%20consultants%20got%20enough%20supplies&ContentTypeId=0x0107&DiscussionParentID=2&Source=https%3A%2F%2Fxx%2Exxxxxxx%2Ecom%2Ftheworks%2FOandR%2FTDMBE%2FLists%2FDiscussion%2520Board%2FFlat%2Easpx%3FRootFolder%3D%252ftheworks%252fOandR%252fTDMBE%252fLists%252fDiscussion%2520Board%252fhave%2520consultants%2520got%2520enough%2520supplies%26FolderCTID%3D0x01200200A1C51FB6047510439F93B774F153C4CB%26TopicsView%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Fxx%252Exxxxxxx%252Ecom%252Ftheworks%252FOandR%252FTDMBE%252FLists%252FDiscussion%252520Board%252FAllItems%252Easpx

Does this suggest that the URL length is the root of the issue. The users are using IE6 also.

If i connect directly onto one of the front end web servers and try to do a reply then it works as expected and response URL is much shorter i.e.

http://servername/theworks/OandR/TDMBE/Lists/Discussion%20Board/Flat.aspx?RootFolder=%2ftheworks%2fOandR%2fTDMBE%2fLists%2fDiscussion%20Board%2fThsi%20si%20another%20test%20to%20check%20the%20length%20of%20the%20Item%20name%20for%20a%20discussion%20board%20topic%20to%20see%20if%20causes%20the%20error%20or%20not&FolderCTID=0x01200200A1C51FB6047510439F93B774F153C4CB&TopicsView=http%3A%2F%2Flvvspw01%2Ftheworks%2FOandR%2FTDMBE%2FLists%2FDiscussion%2520Board%2FAllItems%2Easpx 

Can anyone help or does anyone know whether this is fixed in later release. We are about to apply SP2?
jimmor59Asked:
Who is Participating?

[Webinar] Streamline your web hosting managementRegister Today

x
 
Ted BouskillConnect With a Mentor Senior Software DeveloperCommented:
OK, your AAM settings are incorrect.  The server name should not be a public URL.  Sadly Microsoft doesn't make it clear that installing Sharepoint using the server name will create problems eventually.

Our entire farm was installed using fully qualified domain names.

Here is our settings:
Internal URL                              Zone     Public URL for Zone
http://sharepoint.domain.com  Default  http://sharepoint.domain.com
http://servername                    Default  http://sharepoint.domain.com

I don't know how you have your routing setting for the internet but I think it should be like this:
Internal URL                                       Zone      Public URL for Zone
https://sharepoint.dmz.domain.com  Internet  http://www.domain.com
http://sharepoint.dmz.domain.com    Internet  http://www.domain.com

In other words your internal URL needs to map to an external one.
0
 
Ted BouskillConnect With a Mentor Senior Software DeveloperCommented:
From what I have read the limit for an URL in IE is 2083 characters.

I would strongly recommend applying SP2.  There are a lot of great fixes in it but be sure to read the installation instructions.  Not all updates are cumulative with Sharepoint so you might have to apply previous ones in the correct order.

I wonder if there is a problem with your Alternate Access Mapping that is causing this issue.
0
 
jimmor59Author Commented:
Thanks for your response.
Looked at our Alternative Acces Mappings and they look OK, includes entries as follows:

Internal URL                       Zone                Public URL for Zone
http://servername              Default             http://servername
https://xx.xxxxxxx.com     Internet            https://xx.xxxxxxx.com
http://xx.xxxxxxx.com       Internet            http://xx.xxxxxxx.com

I cannot identify an article or bug that relates to this issue so cannot be sure that even SP2 (or another cummulative patch) update contains a fix for this.
It seems strange that I cannot reproduce this issue via the web server i.e. only via internet. I have tried IE6, IE7 and IE8 all give same result via internet connection.
Can you think of anything else that i could look at for a possible root cause
0
Receive 1:1 tech help

Solve your biggest tech problems alongside global tech experts with 1:1 help.

 
jimmor59Author Commented:
I am nervous of making any changes to AAM as this is our production environment. I was not around when the environment was created so I am not sure whether fully qualified domain names were used at installation or not. If I added an incorrect entry in AAM I am not sure of the effect on users. We have a Staging environment but needs some work to configure similar to our production environment before I can test this out.
0
 
Ted BouskillSenior Software DeveloperCommented:
Based on your last comment I agree.  AAM settings are easy to revert and do not do permanent damage to the installation.  However, working in a staging environment will be very useful so I think it's a low risk safe strategy.

0
 
jimmor59Author Commented:
I believe AAM to be the root cause of this so thanks
0
All Courses

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.