Solved

DCDIAG Fault on SBS2008

Posted on 2010-09-15
5
733 Views
Last Modified: 2012-05-10
Hi,

I am having problems with the DNS setup of a small SBS2008 installation. THere are around 15 workstations and a single server.

I am having some issues with network connectivity and want to resolve DNS errors I am seeing in the event viewer. Typical (and regularly repeated) errors are:

"Process STORE.EXE (PID=2308). Exchange Active Directory Provider failed to obtain DNS records for forest DC=eurotech,DC=local. DNS Priority and Weight for the Global Catalog servers in this forest will be set to the default values 0 (priority) and 100 (weight). "

Event IDs: 2106, 2105

Also if I run DCDiag I get the following error (have replaced server details etc with generic names)

Doing initial required tests -
Active Directory LDAP Services Check:
The host "long-unique-id._msdcs.domainname.local" could not be resolved to an IP address.
"ServerName" failed test connectivity

I have tried DCIDAG /v /fix but without success, error remains. I have also followed advice in some other similar questions but was unable to resolve it.

There is advice that seems to relate to 2003SBS but I am FAR from a DNS expert and could really do with some hand holding here!

Generally the network seems to function well but we have some applications (like sage) that are running the database files etc from the server and it is these that are crashing etc, I am concerned they are losing connectivity for brief moments because of DNS issues.

Even if not I would like to get rid of these errors

Many thanks in advance.
0
Comment
Question by:FutureOak
[X]
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
  • 2
  • 2
5 Comments
 
LVL 3

Accepted Solution

by:
novaspoonman earned 500 total points
ID: 33681507
What about netdiag or dcdiag /test:dns?

Is this server pointing to itself as a DNS server in its NIC settings?
0
 
LVL 11

Expert Comment

by:kaskhedikar_tushar
ID: 33681759
Hello,

Check with DNS server.Please check the Forward lookup zone & Reverse lookup zone.

Please run the nslookup command & check the server status if it is unknown.Then it is the problem of reverse lookup zone.

Also check the Host (A) records in the reverse lookup zone.

Regards,
Tushar Kaskhedikar


 
0
 

Author Comment

by:FutureOak
ID: 33683261
Hi Nova,

Thanks for your update. I ran the test you suggested and it revealed a fault. Something I neglected to mention,

THe server uses Himanchi (VPN product from logmein.com). This creates a VPN via logmein.com servers and creates a VPN when users are out of the office without them needing to log into anything other than the laptop.

Hamanchi create a network bridge using the MAC Bridge Miniport. This was incorrectly configured to look to the router for DNS. I changed this to be the DC and it resolved some of the lookup issues.

The server now passes the first test (that failed during the initial question I posed). However I now get a couple of different warnings

- Access is denied during Netlogons/Replications/Services tests
- Computer is using dynamic IPv6 addresses which should be made static (not sure what the IPv6 equivilent to 10.0.0.2 actually is?)

Running dcdiag /test:dns tells me I am missing the approriate AAAA record for the miniport bridge adaptor.

Sorry if this is a bit like pulling teeth, as mentioned this is certainly not my specialism!

Cheers

0
 
LVL 3

Expert Comment

by:novaspoonman
ID: 33691941
I would focus on the netlogon/replication/services tests. You needn't worry about IPv6 for now, unless your infrastructure actually uses it, in which case you can uncheck that box in the properties of the network adapter.

Check the system and application event logs for anything relevant concerning DNS or netlogon.
0
 

Author Closing Comment

by:FutureOak
ID: 33716663
Eventually got to the bottom of this one. After running the test suggested here it showed me an abvious error message that one adaptor wasn't correctly configured for the right DNS server.

However the other tests continued to fail. I eventually realised that this was just a UAC thing. If I opened the CMD prompt in admin mode the permissions errors all dissapeared.

SO apart from IPv6 (which I dont need) the DC is now passing DNS tests.
0

Featured Post

What is SQL Server and how does it work?

The purpose of this paper is to provide you background on SQL Server. It’s your self-study guide for learning fundamentals. It includes both the history of SQL and its technical basics. Concepts and definitions will form the solid foundation of your future DBA expertise.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

I wrote this article to explain some important DNS concepts that should be known to avoid some typical configuration errors I often see in forums. I assume that what is described here is the typical behavior of Microsoft DNS client. I don't know …
Resolve DNS query failed errors for Exchange
With Secure Portal Encryption, the recipient is sent a link to their email address directing them to the email laundry delivery page. From there, the recipient will be required to enter a user name and password to enter the page. Once the recipient …
I've attached the XLSM Excel spreadsheet I used in the video and also text files containing the macros used below. https://filedb.experts-exchange.com/incoming/2017/03_w12/1151775/Permutations.txt https://filedb.experts-exchange.com/incoming/201…

752 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question