I have to dial directly into Windows XP Pro machines. We are switching to Windows 7 on our desktops from XP Pro. Normal dial-up connections work just fine. I can establish a connection from my new Windows 7 Pro (x64) to these remote systems. There are some that require me to use operator assisted dialing so that I can manually enter the number, and let it ring before letting the modem handle it.
On every Windows 7 box I have tried operator-assisted dialing, once I click dial on the connection I want, I just get a window that says modems are connecting. Normally, I should get another window that shows the phone number, and a button to connect. This is how the MS website puts it. It never shows up at all. I have tried new machines right out of the box, and various different modems, from internal to old 33.6 sportster modems. Nothing is working.
Can someone please direct me to a solution to this problem.
I will add that we have never had Vista, so I do not know if the problem existed there. XP Pro is the last OS that I can verify that worked.
Also, one other bit of information. We also use a program called Laplink for some older systems in the field. When we tell Laplink to use operator assisted, we do get the proper windows, but there is still no change from Windows Dial-up.