Remote Desktop license question
Posted on 2010-09-15
I'm trying to spec out a server & am having trouble determining exactly what I need in regards to licenses.
I've got about 30 users in a locked down environment with no internet access. I need to build a server that can handle up to 10 concurrent remote desktop connections. Each connection will have access only to Internet Explorer so they can access some specific web-sites; no other desktop icons, approved applications, etc. The network is on a Windows domain.
I'm currently looking at a Dell R410 with dual quad-core processors, 8 GB, RAID 5 running Windows Server 2008 R2. I assume that will be way to much machine, but I'd rather have too much than not enough.
The part I can't figure out is licensing. Here are my questions:
1. What exactly is the minimum licenses I need to have in order to allow any 10 users to connect at one time?
2. Do I need both User CALS and RDS CALS? (& how many of each)
3. I've read that User CALS are based on the honor system. Is that the same for RDS CALS? Or am I misunderstanding that?
4. With this setup would each user that logs in still be able to maintain their own favorites, cookies, etc?
5. Could Microsoft make this any more complicated?