I have a problem with a current installation of Windows 2008 Server Small Business Server.This morning i was trying to install a DHCP Server in my client....The installation went very well. The problem is that not all the computers worked with the dhcp server, so i had to configure the IP's by hand.
Server runs a accounting application. There are 7 licenses for the users. I was doing the next sters.
1. Setting a static IP in the Server
2. Add Role
3. Select DHCP Server
4. I was shown my network connection binding and asked to verify it
5. Next, I entered my Parent Domain, Primary DNS Server, and Alternate DNS Server and clicked Next.(As DNS Server I used my server's static IP)
6. Then, I was promoted to configure a DHCP scope for the new DHCP Server. I have opted to configure an IP address range of 192.168.1.50-100 to cover the PC Clients on my local network. To do this, I clicked Add to add a new scope. I named the Scope, configured the starting and ending IP addresses of 192.168.1.50-192.168.1.100, subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, default gateway of 192.168.1.1, type of subnet (wired), and activated the scope.
7. Then, I confirmed my DHCP Installation Selections and clicked Install.
When the server finally restarted after 20 minutes!!! only half of the PC Clients were working with the DHCP.
I Tried to change the scope for the DHCP Server MMC and I was always received the message that the DCHP Services cannot start in this machine, although the services were already started.
The second try i had was not to enter any of the DNS in the step 6 and use the DNS from the internet provider.
The server is a new intel Xeon Quad Core with 8GB RAM. The system is very slow and and doesn;t work as fast as it should.
Any ideas ? I had spent the hole day in the clients office trying to find out what is really happening.
Thanx a lot in advance