[2 days left] What’s wrong with your cloud strategy? Learn why multicloud solutions matter with Nimble Storage.Register Now


Exchange 2003 server - problem sending calendar updates to external email addresses

Posted on 2010-09-20
Medium Priority
Last Modified: 2012-05-10

We are currently running Exchange 2003 server. We have a front end server and back server (both Exchange 2003 server, same patches and service packs installed). The Exchange servers are applications servers and not Domain Controllers.

All outgoing email (smtp) is to be passed to front end server and then to the specific recipients.

This works fine except for one instance:

When making a change to a calendar appointment, such as time or date, The user gets a NDR 48 hours later.

I did message tracking, and their are two entries for the same email calendar update that sent out (even though only one message was sent).

The first one, which is successful, contacts the backend exchange server, which transfers it to the front end server,  which then makes the delivery. What is interesting here is the sender is list as his email address.

The second message, only lists the backend server (no reference to front end server) and then generates an NDR 48 hours later. Here, the sender is listed as his full name as it appears in active directory.

Tracing the second message shows the followong:

9/16/2010 5:51 PM   SMTP store Driver: Message submitted from Store
9/16/2010 5:51 PM   SMTP: Message Submitted to Advanced Queuing
9/16/2010 5:51 PM   SMTP: Started Message Submission to Advanced Queue
9/16/2010 5:51 PM   SMTP: Message Submitted to Categorizer
9/16/2010 5:51 PM   SMTP: Message Categorized and Queued for Routing
9/16/2010 5:51 PM   SMTP: Message Categorized and Queued for Routing
9/16/2010 5:51 PM   SMTP: Message queued for Local delivery
9/16/2010 5:51 PM   SMTP: Message Routed and Queued for Remote Delivery
9/16/2010 5:51 PM   SMTP: message delivered locally to <<user@domain.com>>
9/16/2010 5:51 PM   SMTP Store Driver: Message Delivered Locally to Store to <<user@domain.com>>>
9/18/2010 6:00 PM    SMTP: Non-Delivered Report (NDR) Generated

<<user@domain.com>> is to be replaced by actual user.

This only happens with Calendar meeting updates.

It seems like something is not configured correctly. does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advanced,


Question by:mbudman
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
LVL 23

Expert Comment

by:Stacy Spear
ID: 33771499
Looks like its trying to send that remote message to a local user.

Accepted Solution

mbudman earned 0 total points
ID: 33914234
I finally found the solution. This is in regards to microsoft kb 938650:



Featured Post

Important Lessons on Recovering from Petya

In their most recent webinar, Skyport Systems explores ways to isolate and protect critical databases to keep the core of your company safe from harm.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

This article will help to fix the below error for MS Exchange server 2010 I. Out Of office not working II. Certificate error "name on the security certificate is invalid or does not match the name of the site" III. Make Internal URLs and External…
If something goes wrong with Exchange, your IT resources are in trouble.All Exchange server migration processes are not designed to be identical and though migrating email from on-premises Exchange mailbox to Cloud’s Office 365 is relatively simple…
In this video we show how to create a Contact in Exchange 2013. We show this process by using the Exchange Admin Center. Log into Exchange Admin Center.: First we need to log into the Exchange Admin Center. Navigate to the Recipients >> Contact ta…
In this Micro Video tutorial you will learn the basics about Database Availability Groups and How to configure one using a live Exchange Server Environment. The video tutorial explains the basics of the Exchange server Database Availability grou…

649 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question