I am trying to figure out why an installation of Search Server Express 2008 is not able to successfully index its SharePoint Services installation. Both are running on a Windows 2003 Small Business Server (original, not R2).
When I start a full crawl, it appears to launch successfully, but does not conclude (left it running for 42 hours), does not generate any logs, and does not show any Successes or Errors.
Obviously something is going wrong, but what is it? The application logs show:
Event Type: Warning
Event Source: Office Server Search
Event Category: Gatherer
Event ID: 2423
Time: 4:24:07 PM
The update cannot be started because all of the content sources were excluded by crawl rules, or removed from the index configuration.
Context: Application 'SharedServices', Catalog 'Portal_Content'
I have tried a number of things:
* Correcting permissions to resolve the 6318 error, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/332097
* Making sure that SQL queries are not jammed up, http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/searchserverinstallconfigandadminstration/thread/57d2c956-7e84-4e36-b911-30d62eb24aa5
* Deleting the index and restarting with a fresh crawl
* Changing the default account from NETWORK SERVICE to a custom account with Read access to the SharePoint site
* Ensured correct DCOM permissions