I have setup a Windows Small Business Server 2008, fully updated, and I get long (about 45 seconds to 2 mins) to open XLS and DOC files on a network share residing on this server.
The workstation is Windows 7 Professional fully updated and I get the lag in Office 2007 and 2010 when clicking directly on the file in the share via the windows explorer.
When opening the file directly from the program (Excel or Word) I get no lag.
Furthermore I get the lag only when opening my first (doc or xls) file of the day, all subsequent files open fast from explorer or the application itself. All XLSX or DOCX work like a charm even the first time.
Seems to be related to the first file opened in ''compatibility mode''.
This is what i tried so far.
- Disabled and uninstalled all anti-virus from both server and workstation to no avail
- Disabled all gpos on the SBS
- Tried DDE tweaks and the % for DOC and XLS
- NoNetcrawling Registry tweak
- added full domain name to the network share (example : \\server.company.local\share
- added the network locations in excel 2007 or 2010 in the trusted locations
- added the network location as trusted in Internet explorer (example : \\server.company.local\* )
I tried so many things, I probably forgot a few...
I'm running out of ideas.