RDP microsoft license

Posted on 2010-09-22
Last Modified: 2012-05-10
I have two microsoft 2008 servers.
one was bought with license installed.  We bought 100 user cals. and it appears to have come with the RDP LICENSES.  The reason I say this is because we use the remote desktop and never get a license error.
the second server, everytime I remote in it warns me that I don't have a license to use remote desk login.
Before I started buying these things, I was told that because they are on the same domain as main active directory and backup active directory I only needed one set of licenses, because we either connect to one or the other.

how do I see what license are installed on the main server, license server is not running.
and how do I install the license to the backup if I need them there.

read the microsoft stuff but like everything else at microsoft it is not clear what they want me to do.  have several 2008 server books and there is no mention of this subject.
so can someone enlighten me?

Question by:javagair

Expert Comment

ID: 33737621
There are 2 different CALS for Server 2008. The generic User Cals, which are simply to join the client to the Server 2008 domain, and then theres the TS CAL, which allows users access to the Server 2008 Terminal License server running 2008.

Pretty much you need to designate a license server if you plan on using TS/RDP. This way, the license server will allow you access by granting you a license, which it seems you have plenty of, to use the TS/RDP session on that specific server.
LVL 59

Expert Comment

by:Darius Ghassem
ID: 33737850
RDS\TS CALs are different then Server CALs that come with Windows 2008 Server. By default you are allowed to Remote Desktop connections to the Windows 2008 servers. If you to run RDS\TS you would need to have a RDS\TS licensing server that will hand out these RDS CALs.

We can not give you information on if you are licensed properly or not since we are not MS or licensed dealers of MS but usually you need to Server CALs for every device\user that will connect a Windows Server which means if you had 100 clients and 2 servers you would need to purchase 100 CALs for each server totaling 200 Server CALs

Expert Comment

ID: 33738106
There are three main licence models:

MS agreement

With OEM the licences are for that server, with the others they are usually for the user/device.

For RDS you need an RDS licence server and it sounds like the first server is talking to that, you probably just need to make the second server aware of the license server (the event log on startup will tell you if it cannot find one) and unless you have OEM CALS for the one server you should be fine...

You will however need to make sure you have user/device CALs and RDS CALs for each user that needs to use RDS.  Microsoft do not enforce the limit in software but do legally....
PRTG Network Monitor: Intuitive Network Monitoring

Network Monitoring is essential to ensure that computer systems and network devices are running. Use PRTG to monitor LANs, servers, websites, applications and devices, bandwidth, virtual environments, remote systems, IoT, and many more. PRTG is easy to set up & use.


Expert Comment

ID: 33742684
Also, Per User CALS are much easier to manage than Per Device CALS.

Author Comment

ID: 33748694
the problem is that the license server is not running on any server.  So how are the 100 license be maintained?  If they are in the windows os from a setting on the install, how do I move them to the license server.

When I had a windows nt server there was always a tech number at microsoft that I could call, there doesn't seem to be any way to call microsoft anymore??????

LVL 59

Accepted Solution

Darius Ghassem earned 500 total points
ID: 33749016
Starting in Windows 2008 Server there is no licensing module you just need to keep the paperwork stating you have these many CALs so if MS audits you can show the paperwork.

Server CALs are not tracked in the server itself.

Only Terminal Server CALs are tracked and you would need Terminal Server CALs. Also, you would need to install a Terminal Server licensing server but you don't have TS CALs it seems you only have Server CALs.

Author Comment

ID: 33758139
yes but, since I don't have any terminal license on the main Active Directory and don't get a warning; and I don't have any terminal license on the backup Active Directory and do get a warning that I  have only so many days left, why do I get a warning on one and not the other?
LVL 59

Expert Comment

by:Darius Ghassem
ID: 33769940
Because you placed one is application mode most likely

Featured Post

Netscaler Common Configuration How To guides

If you use NetScaler you will want to see these guides. The NetScaler How To Guides show administrators how to get NetScaler up and configured by providing instructions for common scenarios and some not so common ones.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

I was supporting a handful of Windows 2008 (non-R2) 2 node clusters with shared quorum disks. Some had SQL 2008 installed and some were just a vendor application that we supported. For the purposes of this article it doesn’t really matter which so w…
OfficeMate Freezes on login or does not load after login credentials are input.
This tutorial will walk an individual through locating and launching the BEUtility application and how to execute it on the appropriate database. Log onto the server running the Backup Exec database. In a larger environment, this would generally be …
This tutorial will walk an individual through configuring a drive on a Windows Server 2008 to perform shadow copies in order to quickly recover deleted files and folders. Click on Start and then select Computer to view the available drives on the se…

831 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question