Solved

WSS2.0 restore not complete

Posted on 2010-09-23
6
560 Views
Last Modified: 2012-06-22
Hello;

I just using "stsadm -o restore" utility to restore WSS2.0 sharepoint site to my test lab server.  The restore is done but when I compared it with the original production WSS 2.0 server, not every document restored.  And some sites are not able to access.  For exceple, there is a site for IT but I do not see it in my test server.

I created a short cut link to this site
\\companyweb\DavWWWRoot\site_10

but this site is not in my test server.

Also, the DavWWWRoot cannot be found on my test server, does it make sense?  Is it because I am using two different version of sql on production and test server?

On production server, I am using SQL 2000 on Windows 2003 32-bit.

On my test server, I am using SQL2500 on Windows 2003 R2 x64.

Also, when I use "stsadm -o enumsites -url http://companyweb" to list what is my sites in server but I got this result only, however; I have a lot of sub-sites, am I using the wrong command?

<Sites Count="1">
  <Site Url="http://companyweb" Owner="WEB\administrator" />
</Sites>
0
Comment
Question by:KANEWONG
  • 3
  • 3
6 Comments
 
LVL 9

Expert Comment

by:irinuc
ID: 33751838
Hi,

When you restored the site collection did you get any error/warning? Did you create the backup with a prod farm account? Did you restored with a test farm account?

stsadm enumsites displays only the site collections, not all the sites in the environment.
I would suggest you connect with a test farm account on http://companyweb and check the site hierarchy link. You can navigate to it from Site Settings->Go to site administration->View Site hierarchy.
Or directly: http://companyweb/_layouts/1033/vsubwebs.aspx
This should display the list of all sites.

Also, one thing to consider: the two farms have similar settings? Like for example are the same users defined, are the same third party tools installed or they are in completelly different configurations?
0
 
LVL 1

Author Comment

by:KANEWONG
ID: 33755209
there is no error during restore, just taking 10 hours to complete.  My test server is joined to the same domain as the production sharepoint server.  so, all accounts is the same.

Yes, I found out that I have to use "stsadm -o enumsubwebs -url ...." command to list all sub-sites, not enumsites switch.
0
 
LVL 9

Expert Comment

by:irinuc
ID: 33755406
So there is a single subsite restored?

The differences between the 2 servers may cause this; specially since the database structure was changed from one version to another.
I have never tried this type of backup/restore so I am not entirelly sure if this works; i need to check some more on web; one thing that i would check is that the dabatase is set to be compatible (should be 80, not 90)
0
Independent Software Vendors: We Want Your Opinion

We value your feedback.

Take our survey and automatically be enter to win anyone of the following:
Yeti Cooler, Amazon eGift Card, and Movie eGift Card!

 
LVL 1

Author Comment

by:KANEWONG
ID: 33755510
I think, I did to set the database to be compatible with SQL2000.  Because this is a test server, I can retry many times as I want.

May be, I try one more time to see what is the difference and making sure that the compatibility option is enable.

Do I need to make the STS_config database to be compatible with SQL2000 too?
0
 
LVL 9

Accepted Solution

by:
irinuc earned 250 total points
ID: 33755843
Now, I think you may encounter other issues on this path.
And I wonder if maybe it would be easier to create a backup of the batabase and attach it to the test farm.

See this thread for some more details. They talk about upgrading to Sharepoint 2007, indeed, but the basics are the same: backup the database, restore to the test SQL server and attach it to the test farm.
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepointadmin/thread/5a5f42eb-b2a2-4048-92c4-c08d3c2715d8
0
 
LVL 1

Author Comment

by:KANEWONG
ID: 33755981
thanks for your link.    Now, I started another round for using stsadmin -o restore to restore my site and see how it work.  If still no luck, I will try the steps in link.

If it still not working, I will post another question. So, I close this question first and don't hold up long.
0

Featured Post

Secure Your Active Directory - April 20, 2017

Active Directory plays a critical role in your company’s IT infrastructure and keeping it secure in today’s hacker-infested world is a must.
Microsoft published 300+ pages of guidance, but who has the time, money, and resources to implement? Register now to find an easier way.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

If you create your solutions on SharePoint sooner or later you will come upon a request to set  permissions of the item depending on some of the item's meta-data - the author, people assigned as approvers, divisions, categories etc. The most natu…
There is one common problem that all we SharePoint developers share: custom solution deployment. This topic can't be covered fully in this short article, so all I want to do in this one is to review it from a development-to-operations perspectiv…
I've attached the XLSM Excel spreadsheet I used in the video and also text files containing the macros used below. https://filedb.experts-exchange.com/incoming/2017/03_w12/1151775/Permutations.txt https://filedb.experts-exchange.com/incoming/201…
Attackers love to prey on accounts that have privileges. Reducing privileged accounts and protecting privileged accounts therefore is paramount. Users, groups, and service accounts need to be protected to help protect the entire Active Directory …

679 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question