How to move WSS 2 on W2k3 to WSS3 on W2k8
Posted on 2010-09-23
I need to move a Windows SharePoint Services 2 environment on a hosted Windows 2003 server to a Windows SharePoint 3 environment on a Windows 2008 server located at a different hosting company. I am a Network Engineer who's new to SharePoint. I'm not a developer in any way so scripting and editing code will be difficult to accomplish.
- Single server in the farm with a single Site Collection
- Single content database with a single config database
- Content database is about 14GB and config is about 2MB
- Storage is not a concern
- NO 3rd party tools are installed
- AD pass-through integration is NOT configured; users have to login using the domain account when accessing SharePoint
- URL to access the site will remain the same
- Source and Destination servers have different names and are in different domains
- WSS 3 is already installed on the destination server and a site collection has been created; no data has been added and no configuration has been done on it
I keep reading conflicting instructions on this process so I'm not really sure what the proper process is. Some say I only need the move the content database. Some say I need to upgrade to WSS 3 on the source server first. Some say I need to use the default web.config file on the destination server and customize it for the SharePoint environment that's brought over from the source server.
I'm lost in a sea of information comprised of bits and pieces of information. Does anyone have a complete step by step list from start to finish on how to accomplish what I need to do here? Any help would be greatly appreciated.