Our helpdesk tech deleted my Windows 7 Ultimate laptop’s account from AD. I was able to recover the tombstoned object using ADRestore.NET. I re-enabled the account in AD and reset the object as well.
When trying to log on, I got the “The security database on the server does not have a computer account for this workstation trust relationship”. I used ADSIEdit to fix the ServicePrincipalName on the object.
Now, when trying to log on, I am getting this error: “The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed” and I cannot get past it.
Unfortunately, I have lost the local admin account’s password for the Windows 7 laptop, so I am not able to log on to this workstation locally at all.