I am having the following Issue:
Virtual Center Drops connection to one of our 2 VMWare hosts.
Virtual Center is version 4.1 installed on Windows Server 2008 running as a VM at 192.168.0.6.
The first VMWare host is VSphere ESX 4.0 running at IP address 192.168.0.x. There are no issues with this host. It was added into Virtual Center
with no issues and has not disconnected. It does contain the Virtual Center VM
The 2nd host is at IP address 192.168.100.190; it is in a DMZ. It is also running VMWare VSphere 4.0 ESX and is running on IP 192.168.100.x. The host is a
successfully added to VCenter, and is accessible for about 10-15 minutes at a time, then suddenly, without anything happening, disconnects.
Both hosts have datastore(s) located on an Equallogic iSCSI SAN and have no issues accessing them. (that I have been able to observe)
What I know so far:
for the problem host:
1. I can access the service console via a SSH and do not get disconnected, even after a couple hours.
2. I can also access the host individually from the VSphere client, and stay in the client for a couple hours without getting disconnected. Only when
I utilize the Vsphere client and connect to the VCenter server do I get disconnected. I have utilized the VSphere client on 2 separate machines with the
3. I did specify the IP address of the management interface in the VSphere client for Virtual Center (top menu, administration, runtime settings)
4. I have restarted the management agents, network service, the vxpda (don't recall what that one is), and the webaccess service to no avail.
5. I have verified I can ping from the virtual center server to the VMWare problem host
6. I have verified I can telnet from the virtual center server to the vmware problem host on tcp port 902.
7. Disabled vmotion and HA on the adaptors for the problem VMWare host.
8. Verified licensing was installed on both hosts and properly assigned.
9. Update manager is installed in Virtual Center along with the base install.
10. I have completely removed the problem VMWare host from Virtual Center and re-added it back in.
11. I have verified the vpxa.cfg file contains the actual address of our virtual center server, and not the loopback address
12. There is a firewall between the internal network and the problem VMWare host. Port redirection for tcp port 902 has been configured. I haven't
checked the firewall myself, but the security administrator assures me there is no NAT going on.
All of these steps have yielded the same results; the problem VMWare VSphere host drops offline. Yet, I can access through SSH to the service console
as well as through the VSphere client directly to the host. Only going through the VSphere client to the VCenter server will the vmware host disconnect.
The message received is "host is disconnected" and there is a red circle over the problem host in VCenter.
So, at this point, I'm kinda lost. I'd appreciate any suggestions, etc.