I'd like to know what the difference is between the following and which you would recommend using:
Symantec LiveState Recovery Advanced Server 3.0
Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery Server Edition 8.0
The backup will be for five servers, all running Server 2003 R2 - 3x32-bit and 2x64-bit. Their primary roles are:
SQL Server 2005
Web Server (very little web traffic - considering making this the central backup server)
There are about 50 users on the network and total used disk space across the 5 servers of 650GB. We have a 1TB external WD Mirror drive (which was previously used to store NTBackups) and a Dell PV110T tape drive with five 400/800GB tapes.
1) Working with the software this company currently has (listed above), which would be the best?
2) Will it work to back up all 5 servers from a central server?
3) Will the apps (Exchange, DC, etc.) affect how the backup runs?
4) Generally, what is the best way to set this up (best and/or easiest to set up, easiest to recover from)?
5) Would you suggest a different software/approach to backing up this network?
Like I said, they'd like to work within the software/hardware available to them, but if there is an honest-to-goodness need for additional hardware/software, let me know specifically, as it will be necessary to explain to a bunch of farmers why they need to spend more money.