Forward DNS lookup zone missing after migration

Tomster2
Tomster2 used Ask the Experts™
on
Recently migrated a 2003SBS to 2008 R2 Standard using the MS migration tools.
We found that entries were missing for both the forward and reverse lookup DNS zones.
We could create reverse lookup successfully... but when trying to create forward lookup zones we get the message:

The zone cannot be created.  Server failure.

Having a hard time finding any threads that fit our problem.

Suggestions greatly appreciated.
Comment
Watch Question

Do more with

Expert Office
EXPERT OFFICE® is a registered trademark of EXPERTS EXCHANGE®
AD-integrated or primary zones?

Author

Commented:
Sorry for my lack of knowledge. Not sure if I understand the difference, but we go through the wizard , we select primary.  Let me know what information you need.

Author

Commented:
Additional info... when we run dcdiag, we get the message:

The host   xxxxxx._msdcs.domain.local

         could not be resolved to an IP address. Check the DNS server, DHCP,

         server name, etc.

         Got error while checking LDAP and RPC connectivity. Please check your

         firewall settings.

         ......................... <servername> failed test Connectivity

We cannot check our forwarding zones because there are none.  When we try to create one we get teh "server failure" message listed above.

Help!
JavaScript Best Practices

Save hours in development time and avoid common mistakes by learning the best practices to use for JavaScript.

So when you're looking at your server's FOrward Lookup Zones, it's empty, and if you right-click on the Forward lookup Zones and choose New Zone that's the error you get? Or does it let you get to the point of selecting Zone Type?

Author

Commented:
We can get all the way to the "finish" button.  Then we get the error referenced above.

Today we ran dcdiag and recieved the following error early in the process:
Directory Server Diagnosis


Performing initial setup:

   Trying to find home server...

   Home Server = <correct server name>

   * Identified AD Forest.
   Done gathering initial info.


Doing initial required tests

   
   Testing server: Default-First-Site-Name\<correct server name?

      Starting test: Connectivity

         The host eb628471-6385-4438-b999-f6c7e3bd355f._msdcs.<domain>.local

         could not be resolved to an IP address. Check the DNS server, DHCP,

         server name, etc.

         Got error while checking LDAP and RPC connectivity. Please check your

         firewall settings.

         ......................... <server name> failed test Connectivity

All <> items have been edited by me for confidentiality.

IP DNS configuration points to the server's IP (this is a one server shop), server name is correct.
Please try these steps from another post:
"- Point the DNS properties of Dc to the root Dc.
 
 - Type on cmd prompt
 dnscmd /clearcache press enter
 ipconfig /flushdns press enter
 
 - Go to c:\windows\system32\config and delete the netlogon.dns and the
 netlogon.dnb files.
 
 - Create the Dns Zone (At this point no error is shown)
 
 - Point the DNS properties of Dc to itself (Make sure that the server is
 cable of resolving the root domain through Forward zones or stub Zones or
 Secondary zones)
 
 - Type on cmd prompt
 ipconfig /registerdns
 
 - Type - net stop netlogon & net start netlogon (confirm the creation of the
 netlogon.dns and the netlogon.dnb files on c:\windows\system32\config )
 
 - Type - Netdiag /fix
 
 - Test replication."

But before you try that, have you tried rebooting the server, and seeing if you can create the zone after that?
Commented:
vanbarsoun  

Thanks for the suggestions... unfortunately we did not get to try it as early on the 22nd, we had tried various dcdiag switches and tools, and never could get the server to pass the connectivity test mentioned above.

Since this was a single server shop with less than 20 users, we bit the bullet and began  uninstalled/reinstall DNS early Friday... which, as expected,  corrupted active directory, and we then rebuilt both.

Best as we can tell, there may have been some corruption on the old server that the migration tool did not find digestible.  As a result, after the migration we had no forward lookup zones, nor could we create one until we uinstalled/reinstalled DNS.  

Took us a day to complete rebuilding all the profiles, but things look solid now.

Tomster2

Author

Commented:
Was not able to resolve with proposed solutions.  Our own approach took care of it.

Do more with

Expert Office
Submit tech questions to Ask the Experts™ at any time to receive solutions, advice, and new ideas from leading industry professionals.

Start 7-Day Free Trial