It's never good when I am writing on this website... :-( Our Primary Domain Controller "Goddess" died 2 days ago, along with our exchange server "Demon"... (It comes to find out that the guy that installed it didn't setup the RAID because the card wasn't supported, so instead of buying one that was he just built the VM's on just a lot of 5 SATA hard drives in the computer. Lucky for me VMware, the PDC & the Exchange Server were install on Drive 1) I found some technet docs and other peoples who experienced the same issue... There is no bringing "Goddess" or "Demon" back to life in their original state. (They have been re-incarnated in a newer body that I just made today)
I made our secondary DC "Omega" a global catalog server and Seized 4 of 5 FMSO operations... From my readings it was recommended not to seize the "Infrastructure Mode" (I think I can't find the article I ended up working on because I was bleary eyed and tired and wasn't paying attention, my bad) I know there's a way to check I don't remember either...
Now I was instructed to build a new VM Host and put "Goddess" and "Demon" on it, with VMware fail-over to a new box I am going to be building shortly. (The idea is to get people back to work) I fired up the new box and got the VMs going. "Goddess" I first tried to join the domain and it wouldn't let me because it existed. I then went to "Omega" and deleted it... It asked a bunch of Do you want to Delete Active Directory.....(again can't remember but there were a few questions here) to which I said Yes to all thinking I was removing "Goddess" of old out of Active Directory so I could re-incarnate her in her new body... Then I was able to join "Goddess" to the domain... And Promote to a Domain Controller... I then made her a DNS, WINS & DHCP server like before. (Again, from memory since nothing was documented for me in the first place)
I re-incarnated "Demon" and stated to install Exchange 2007 on it. (Now in all honesty I was sort of working in parallel of bringing "Goddess" back on line) Exchange started to install... Then failed because it couldn't find a Global Catalog Server (Which I made "Omega") It did install other options... I went to uninstall and it was not in Add Remove Programs... And when I tried to run the install again it said I could only do it in "Recovery Mode" So, I tried a few things from KB articles and technet and still it failed saying only "Recovery Mode"
So I said Phuck it, Deleted the VM and imported my default blank slate server image back to being called "Demon"... Ran Win update and got it ready... Tried to install Exchange... And now all I can get when trying to install Exchange on the new machine is "The Exchange Server is in an inconsistent state. Only Server Recovery Mode is Available"
Well, at this point, before I go off willy nilly again half cocked and screw it up some more, I put it out to you EE land to see what people say I should do to salvage my busted network...