I currently have 8 servers in production (we are 75 employees) and I am considering virtualizing our entire infrastructure using VMWare's ESXi server to host the Virtual Servers.
The following servers are used in production:
1. Domain Controller 1 (Windows 2003)
2. Domain Controller 2 (Windows 2003)
3. Front End Exchange 2003 server (and mail anti Virus program), (windows 2003)
4. Back End Exchange server 2003 (windows 2003 server)
5. File server (Windows 2003)
6. Blackberry Enterprise server (Windows 2003)
7. ISA server 2006 (Windows 2003)
8. Anitvirus console and management for Workstations / Servers, Microsoft Deployment Server
We are only 75 employees. Exchange is accessed using cached mode and .ost files.
Is there any reason not to virtualize all these servers? Initially I was thinking of virtualizing all servers except back end exchange server and ISA server, but after reading user comments I am unsure.
I also do not understand why techies recommend not virtualizing DC's. Can someone explain why I should not virtualize my DC's?
I should also not that are company servers are approaching their 5th year of use and will scheduled to be replaced in some capacity (either as virtualization or physical box).
Any comments and recommendations would be appreciated.