Block Cursor in Windows 7- How to change it

Posted on 2010-11-08
Last Modified: 2012-05-10
I just got a new computer running Windows 7 and noticed when I type the cursor is a black square or block rather than a line.  I can't figure out how to get the cursor back to the line when typing.  The problem occurs in all applications where ever I need to type something.  In searching posts, I have come across something about changing the width of the cursor but haven't been able to find out how to do that in Win 7.  Any help is greatly appreciated.
Question by:dyarosh
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
  • 3
  • 3
LVL 35

Expert Comment

by:Ernie Beek
ID: 34084877
Have a look at: control panel->mouse->pointers

Should be one there called text select

Author Comment

ID: 34084907
There is and it is set to a line.
LVL 35

Accepted Solution

Ernie Beek earned 500 total points
ID: 34085072
Had to look for the cursor width but got it: Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Ease of Access Center\Make the mouse easier to use
Independent Software Vendors: We Want Your Opinion

We value your feedback.

Take our survey and automatically be enter to win anyone of the following:
Yeti Cooler, Amazon eGift Card, and Movie eGift Card!


Author Comment

ID: 34085204
Mouse Pointer set to Regular/White.  CHanged to Large/White but still have the same problem with the block cursor.  Changed back to Regular/White and still have the same problem.

Author Closing Comment

ID: 34088214
Here are the exact steps that solved the problem:

Open Control Panel and click on Ease of Access Center.  On the Make Your Computer Easier to Use screen under Explore All Settings, click on Make the Computer Easier to Use.  On the Make the Computer Easier to Use screen on the Set the Thickness of the Blinking Cursor click on the arrow and select 1.  Click OK at the bottom.

Thanks for your help.
LVL 35

Expert Comment

by:Ernie Beek
ID: 34088637
My pleasure :)

Featured Post

Free Tool: IP Lookup

Get more info about an IP address or domain name, such as organization, abuse contacts and geolocation.

One of a set of tools we are providing to everyone as a way of saying thank you for being a part of the community.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

One of the features I've come to appreciate about Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 is the ability to pin applications to the task bar. As useful a feature as I've found this, it does have some quirks.  For example, have you ever tried pinning an…
The recent Microsoft changes on update philosophy for Windows pre-10 and their impact on existing WSUS implementations.
This Micro Tutorial will teach you the basics of configuring your computer to improve its speed. It will also teach you how to disable programs that are running in the background simultaneously. This will be demonstrated using Windows 7 operating…
This Micro Tutorial will go in depth within Systems and Security in Windows 7 and will go into detail regarding Action Center, Windows Firewall, System, etc. This will be demonstrated using Windows 7 operating system.

732 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question