Error 1325. <username> is not a valid short file name
Posted on 2010-11-12
I have a strange problem here in the organization.
- We are running Active Directory and user's home folders (P: Drive) were moved from a windows 2003 server to a windows 2008 server.
- On clients (Windows XP), Favorites are redirected to their home folders in the registry:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders]
Both Values to "\\SERVER\Share$\username\Favorites"
Since this move, when installing/updating softwares in MSI format, this kind of error appears:
Error 1325. <username> is not a valid short file name.
Sometimes, the error number is not there.
Example of softwares getting the error:
- Adobe Acrobat Standard and Reader
- VMWare Workstation and Player
- Others that I cannot remember
I have managed to fix the error by setting the drive letter instead of the UNC in the registry: "P:\Favorites".
1. What does the Favorites path has to do with msi installations?
2. Is there something different with Windows Server 2008 that can cause this error because we did not get this error before?
Thanks for your help.