I have a strange situation. We have a SBS 2008 server. I have a few users that were on XP and office 2003. They had 2 or 3 outlook profiles, which they would choose when opening outlook. It worked fine. I then put in a new workstation with Windows 7 and office 2007, and set the user up on it. I setup the separate outlook profiles. The user has full access and send as permissions on the other outlook accounts, and can log into them fine. However, when they try and send email using that account, it fails with the following: This message could not be sent. Try sending the message again later, or contact your network administrator. Error is [0x80040111-00000000-00000000].