Recently my SQL DB has really slowed down and while trying to look for things to optimse to try and improve the situation we found the following;
1. MCafee Antivirus scanning
2. The DB was sitting on a RAID 5 Volume.
3. File fragmentation is at 86%
We are trying to do the following to optimse the following to correct the situation.
1. For the Antivirus, we have put the DB files under exceptions option.
2. We have created a RAID 10 volume and that is where we will move the Db data files
3. We would like to leave the log file on the current volume. But because Fragmentation is resource intensive we wanted to move the log files to another volume and then defrag the current volume. My question is, if you move the busy DB files to another volume and defrag the former volume and then copy back the files, is there a benefit. When you copy the files to another volume, which is nicely fragmented is there a benefit or it gets fragmented the same way? I need your advice on this one.