SS Reporting Services and Crystal Reports
Posted on 2010-11-15
After many years of working with Reporting Services, I will have to start using Crystal Reports 2008. I'm not asking for comparison in terms of one versus another as my strong preference lies with SSRS, but rather some debriefing on where Crystal Reports stand in operation comparing to SSRS. Questions like:
- A final product for Reporting Services is an RDL file, what is for the Crystal Reports?
- Reporting Services use a web server for deploying reports to and accessing them, what is it for Crystal Reports?
- In the case of importing reports, you can get RDL files from either your development environment or download from the web server and then add it to your project, how can it be done for Crystal Reports?
- RS reports are stored as XML data in the designated database on the SQL Server, what about Crystal Reports, how are they stored and in what format?
- You can deploy RS reports either from your Visual Studio, or by uploading files to the web server, how is it done for Crystal Reports?
Again, I'm not after comparison between RS and CR in terms of features or what's better, and I'm not after links to "you can start there". Direct answers to my questions will perfectly suffice.