Choosing the right graphics card for a new computer
Posted on 2010-11-16
I'm putting together specs for a new computer that I plan to order in the next few weeks. I'm not a serious gamer, but as long as I'm investing in a new one, I want to make sure it will do what I want, now and in the future, such as:
- Microsoft's new flight simulator
- Games & movies that use Nvidia's 3D Vision (I plan to add a 3D projector within the next year)
I have settled on a Core i&-950 processor. Now I'd like help with choosing the right video card. I don't have an unlimited budget. I have been considering the GeForce GTX 460, but it gets confusing.
- Is this card powerful enough?
- Are 2 cheaper cards in SLI mode better than a single more expensive one?
- How much difference does 2 GB vs. 1 GB make?
- I'd like to run 2 monitors plus the projector
Thanks. I will appreciate all input.