Want to protect your cyber security and still get fast solutions? Ask a secure question today.Go Premium

x
  • Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 539
  • Last Modified:

AD Account settings and Exchange 2007

This is going to be a long one so best grab yourself a tea or coffee before reading!

Background -

We have a single domain with 2 DCs - 2K3 AD, running Exchange 2K3 but in the process of migrating to Exchange 2K7 - Simple Exchange 2K7 install, nothing complicated. - Clients - XP SP3, couple of Windows 7 machines in testing for upgrading all XP machines.

The problem -

We have moved most (90%) of our users across and everything appears to be fine, they log on, launch Outlook which automatically reconfigured them to the new server and everything is happy.

Then we had a user log into a Windows 7 machine and setup their profile - unable to find the settings using Autodiscover - The usual error

Autodiscover to https://mailserver.domain/Autodiscover/Autodiscover.xml Failed (0x80072f78) - Now doing major amounts of research always points to the 2 same things as the cause - Certificates and permissions on IIS - However this is not the case.

Upon further testing I have found the following - Any new account that is created on the domain can quite happily login to XP or Win7 and autodiscover works a treat.
Accounts that have been created by myself in the past 2 years all work on both XP and Win7. (Prior to this date I wasn't the Network Admin)

So far every old account (Over 2 years old) fails on the Win 7 machines, but works Win XP.  I've used ADSIEdit and LDAP Browser to compare settings of working and non working accounts - Everything (Apart from GUID etc) are correct (Exchange details, legacy details, etc) in both working/non working accounts.

If I take a non working account, delete it, recreate it and reattach the mailbox then it happily works on both - This is a workaround, but not a solution, I'd rather not have to do this with all our users!

I've done a lot of research on this and found 1 other posting on the web where the same thing happened, they found a setting in the users AD account that they updated and it fixed the error (LegacyDN) but this fix doesn't work for us.

I'm 100% sure it's a setting somewhere in the users AD account that basically stops them from connecting to Autodiscover, but I'm at a loss as what.
0
GIFFER
Asked:
GIFFER
  • 5
  • 4
  • 2
2 Solutions
 
Tony JLead Technical ArchitectCommented:
I've seen something similar happen for activesync.

If you open up AD Users & Computers, and look at the properties of one of the affected accounts' security tab (may need to turn on advanced view if it isn't there). Click Advanced and ensure that the inherit permissions button it checked.

May not be relevant to your case, but definately worth a quick look.
0
 
AwinishCommented:
See if it helps for windows 7.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940881/en-us

Can you rename the profile & ask the user to relogin & let new profile be created.

There is profile version difference between XP & win &
XP has V1 & win & V2, lets just try.
0
 
GIFFERAuthor Commented:
That was one of the first places I checked - Permissions are being inherited and a manual comparison for a working/non working user show the same results.
0
Simplify Active Directory Administration

Administration of Active Directory does not have to be hard.  Too often what should be a simple task is made more difficult than it needs to be.The solution?  Hyena from SystemTools Software.  With ease-of-use as well as powerful importing and bulk updating capabilities.

 
GIFFERAuthor Commented:
@Awinish - We have the correct record for this (Already tried and tested).

I've ruled out profiles as the old user (having never logged into a Windows 7 machine before) doesn't have a V2 profile until they first login, but the issue is there.
0
 
GIFFERAuthor Commented:
More Testing and now more information -

I can kind of get things working, but in the process I end up losing another function.

In IE, if I tick the 'Automatically detect' settings option and remove the Proxy settings then Autodiscovery works - but the internet no longer works - reverse the setting and the Internet works but Autodiscover fails.

This only appears to the case on the Windows 7 machines - In XP, it doesn't make a difference if you have anything ticked or not, it works.
0
 
Tony JLead Technical ArchitectCommented:
Do you actually have a proxy server?
0
 
GIFFERAuthor Commented:
We have a Bloxx webfilter which doubles as a proxy box.
0
 
Tony JLead Technical ArchitectCommented:
Have you tried adding your autodiscover address as an exception in IE?
0
 
AwinishCommented:
I think intranet client trying to go to internet for getting autodiscoverer host record to query exchange server for mailbox, as these records are in internal dns only.

Exclude the internal domain name from proxy using *.domain.com & also create a host record in dns for intranet client to point o exchange server.
0
 
GIFFERAuthor Commented:
All solved, thanks for your help guys.

I had to remove the 'Automatically detect' and add the *.domain.com (internal) as an exception - The full url for the autodiscover couldn't be accepted but the domain was.
0
 
Tony JLead Technical ArchitectCommented:
You might want to look at dropping those settings down by group policy.

Thanks for the points and good luck.
0

Featured Post

Configuration Guide and Best Practices

Read the guide to learn how to orchestrate Data ONTAP, create application-consistent backups and enable fast recovery from NetApp storage snapshots. Version 9.5 also contains performance and scalability enhancements to meet the needs of the largest enterprise environments.

  • 5
  • 4
  • 2
Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now