How do I restore old user profile on new domain?
Posted on 2010-11-17
With Windows XP, when we wanted to join a workstation to a domain but keep the user's profile exactly the same - we would do the following:
1. Join workstation to the domain
2. Login as new domain user, then log off
3. Login as Domain Administrator and give full permissions on old user account to new domain user under Documents & Settings
4. Redirect new domain user to old profile in the Registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList
5. Login as new domain user but get old profile and everything works
We did this to same time, rather than copying everything or using the User Migration Tool.
When I tried this on Windows 7 Pro, I got some errors when applying permissions to the old profile. When I tried to login with the new domain user, it would log me right back out.
So how do you do this with Windows 7? What other steps am I missing?