• Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 424
  • Last Modified:

Change SQL Srvr 2005 Authentication modes

I have a SQL 2005 db that the software vendor has set up with SQL Authentication.  The System DSN on the cllent machines uses the SA account to connect to the DB.

When I tried to explain to the software vendor that we should use Windows Authentication, they had no idea what I was talking about.  

Is there a simple trustworthy way to change the security on the DB to use Windows Authentication instead of SQL.
0
mbkitmgr
Asked:
mbkitmgr
  • 6
  • 3
  • 2
  • +1
3 Solutions
 
macentrapCommented:
in SQL 2005, if its using SQL mode its already using mixed mode ( SQL server and Windows).

There are only two options in properties:
Windows authentication and mixed mode.

to use windows authentication you would have to create users in security group
SQL-Security.png
0
 
Alpesh PatelAssistant ConsultantCommented:
Yes, In property of Server in SSMS,  change authentication mode. PAge
0
 
macentrapCommented:
misinterpretd the question:

you would like to change the system DSN on client machine

just select option for windows authentication and create that user as part of security -> logins

it should work!!
0
Free Tool: Site Down Detector

Helpful to verify reports of your own downtime, or to double check a downed website you are trying to access.

One of a set of tools we are providing to everyone as a way of saying thank you for being a part of the community.

 
macentrapCommented:
from server it looks fine... how about security logins ... are the domain users' created.

or do you need help from System DSN on client machine
0
 
macentrapCommented:
link to guide through create ODBC connection

http://www.truthsolutions.com/sql/odbc/creating_a_new_odbc_dsn.htm
0
 
mbkitmgrAuthor Commented:
I guess I need to clarify the issue.

+ The System DSN on the existing client machines are using the SA credential, which isnt an AD account
+ When I try to configure System DSN on a new machine with the SA credential, it fails with an error that the username and password are incorrect
+ When I check the Logins under the Instance, there is no SA acc listed
+ When I check the Database properties SA is listed as the owner
+ I cant find a user SA in the database Users either.

I had hoped by switching to Windows Authentication we could do away with the SA paradox
0
 
macentrapCommented:
SA is default sql server account (sql adminstrator)
This wont be part of AD
System dsn got sql method checked to connect at database

When sytem dsn is created it ask for how you would like to conect to database
I.e. Windows nt or sql
Thts where u got sql


Regarding setup on new machine wht error do you get?

Does your existing client work with initial setup of SA?


0
 
macentrapCommented:
you wont find user SA in database user, there will be dbo

I assume u are trying to find it in
DatabaseEngine<InstanceName> -> databases<databaseName> -> security -> logins

whereas it is in

DatabaseEngine<InstanceName>- > security -> logins

image attached for ref.




sql-sec-2005.png
0
 
marat-ozCommented:
If your Vendors application is not win app there is no way you can use win authentication; otherwise create win login, give it necessary server/DB access privileges and ask Vendor to change login account for application.
If all your users and apps are using Windows you can set Win authentication mode on server otherwise keep it mixed.
sa account has administrative rights on server and this could be security issue.
If your Vendor app isn't Windows app you can create SQL Server account with less access privileges than sa but with all necessary privileges for Vendors app and ask your Vendor to change app login account to newly created one.
0
 
marat-ozCommented:
PS
"ask Vendor to change login account for application."
"ask your Vendor to change app login account to newly created one."

Actually, I believe you can do it yourself, all you need is to ask vendor what Server/DB access privileges this account needs.
0
 
mbkitmgrAuthor Commented:
Hi Guys,

An Update on the issue - the initial problem with the creation of the OBDC Sys DSN has been resolved.  It seems the OEM image was the problem.  I deleted the OEM install of Win7, re-installed Win7 from the OEM media kit and "hey presto" the ODBC connection now works.  

The app was Lawware. I have also expressed to the vendor that under the current settings any user with Excel can query the db and obtain user-names and passwords because the DSN is using the sa login.  Sadly some vendors don't consider the risk this poses.

So for now the problem has receded, and I have left the vendor to make their own decision on how Lawware's ODBC connector authenticates.
0
 
mbkitmgrAuthor Commented:
perhaps my description of the issue was insufficient to deliver an answer
0

Featured Post

Free Tool: Site Down Detector

Helpful to verify reports of your own downtime, or to double check a downed website you are trying to access.

One of a set of tools we are providing to everyone as a way of saying thank you for being a part of the community.

  • 6
  • 3
  • 2
  • +1
Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now