Problems with DC Demotion in Citrix environment
Posted on 2010-11-23
Hi Everyone, here is a problem one of our customers IT departments is experiencing, anyone have any insight?
When I started at CompanyX, the network had one older server (called Phoenix) that provided the following roles:
1. Primary domain controller
2. Citrix license server
3. Primary file server
4. Print server.
Soon after I replaced this with a brand high-end HP server ( Jupiter) that became the primary DC, and file server. During the process I demoted Phoenix and over time I started moving the other roles, like the Citrix licensing and print server, onto other servers. A couple of months ago I decided it was time to turn Phoenix off and see what happens.
The first thing was that some citrix sessions lost their desktops. There was also program errors seen in our ERP application. An print-job routing application that runs on another server stopped working.
I started investigating first by using process monitor then by testing affected user accounts. One thing that I did find was that were places, MSOffice application default file location for example, that instead of using a UNC (we map folders to W: & U: drives) I was seeing instances of \\phoenix\; the server name was being hard coded. I also found that the “MyDocuments” folder was redirected to \\phoenix\userhomefolder.
I logged onto one of the citrix servers that seem to be causing the problem with a user account that was experiencing the issue. I searched the HKCU hive of the registry and found multiple references to \\phoenix\ but when I logged onto that server as an administrator I found few in any of the hives. I then tried manually changing the HKCU registry entries (I don’t remember if I changed them to \\jupiter\ or used a UNC path) for affected users only to see them revert back the next time they logged on.
I searched every group policy I could think of/find on the chance that there was some folder redirection going on, but to no avail. I’ve considered the possibility that this is still the issue and that I am looking in the wrong place so this might be a good place to start.
I’ve also looked for a 3rd party AD interface but there is no indication that any exists.
I’m not sure what to try next.