We will be rolling out a new website at the beginning of the new year and I need some tips and advice. The original site is a mish-mash of page extensions. It will be replaced by bright, shiny, new asp.net aspx pages. Nothing like 100% continuity throughout a site.
Here are the questions:
1) How would you do it? What are the pitfalls? The old site has been crawled for years and has an OK - decent presence on the web. Changing names and extensions are basically going to make us lose our page ranking, right?
2) We have Google Analytics code on the old pages. Is there a way to tie into all that old info once the new site is active? Would we want to? The new pages have their own analytics code.
3) Who do we need to inform that our site has changed? I know that there are entities on the web that need to be updated/ informed/warned of such changes.
4) We've never done anything of this magnitude (1,500 pages - knocked down to a couple of hundred). We've rolled out major redesigns and all that in the past but for the most part web page names and extensions stayed the same. This is a whole new ball of wax. We are changing the fundamentals of the site completely and any suggestions you might have are appreciated.
5) Am I asking all the questions I need to ask? Feel free to ask, then answer them for me. ;)