Event ID 3005: HTTP status code 409, cant sync exchange 2003 with iphone
Posted on 2010-11-23
im having real problem getting active sync to work with iphones from the last few days ever since i installed echange 2010 into our environment.
we currently have about 6 users who are using activesync without a problem and able to resync themsevles. however newly created users, and user accounts that i have migrated from our sydney office to our melbourne system are unable to get activesync.
Melbourne Office - Exchange 2003
Sydney Office - Exchange 2003
all emails from the sydney exchange go out via the melbourne server (only melbourn have OWA and ActuiveSyc available as we are not running a F/End-B/End setup).
If certain users want OWA/ActiveSync we migrate their account to the melbourne office.
Everytime i try to setup activeSync for migrated sydney users or new staff i get the message " Cannot Get Mail. Connection to the Server Failed"
Then when i check the exchange server E/viewer i get the following entry:
Event Type: Error
Event Source: Server ActiveSync
Event Category: None
Event ID: 3005
Time: 4:05:24 PM
Unexpected Exchange mailbox Server error: Server: [exchange.domain.com.au] User: [firstname.lastname@example.org] HTTP status code: . Verify that the Exchange mailbox Server is working correctly.
a few days ago i provisioned and installed a new Exchange 2010 server however its not doing anything yet, not sure if that has anything to do with it. I didnt think it would because i had a user that has a HTC desire use activesync and it worked like a charm for him.
We haev FBA enabled on the OWA site as well as SSL, so to get active sync working initially i just enabled "integrated windows authentication" in the default website under /Exchange