We are doing a server migration and recently demoted a multipurpose domain controller and turned it off. The DC was also a file and print server. These are all separated roles in the new infrastructure on their own virtualized systems (VMWare). The problem is that since we did that we are having issues with slowness in certain applications on some computers. The problem applications are AutoDesk Products, Printing and Microsoft Picture and Fax Viewer from Office 2003 on Windows XP workstations. If we turn the server back on the problems go away.
Autodesk is just slow to open and open documents. Not horrendously slow but slow enough to be annoying. AutoCAD LT and Designer as well as TrueView are all affected. They are all 2010 version.
Printing on a handful of computers has long pauses. It is in particular a problem on our Shipping computers running UPS Worldship and the FedEx shipping software. The applications run fine but as soon as you print the label everything freezes in the application for about 10-20 seconds, the label prints and everything unfreezes 5-10 seconds later. This is a big problem for them but there are others with this same printing issue out of any application. We did find if there was a link to a shared printer still mapped on the desktop to the old server that would cause this problem and by removing it, the issue was fixed. However some computers did not have any existing bad links to printers on the old server.
In Microsoft Picture and Fax viewer (and some other image programs) users are going to open an image and it takes 3-5 minutes where they had opened instantaneously (3-4 seconds). If you use the default Preview application there is no delay. Apparently from looking around if you have a "bad" link on your desktop to a non-present network resource this will cause the problem. However I have not found any bad links to fix the problem. All the users desktop links are updated or didn't require updating. I found some in "My Documents" directories but that didn't fix the issue.
If we turn the server we demoted on, all these problems go away.
We have checked Net Use, DNS, & WINS. We looked for bad shortcuts on the desktop and in my documents. We have looked for bad ODBC links. I have done regedits to remove references to the old server. We have even tried removing the Anti-virus. I am seeing nothing that fixes it on certain trouble computers. The computers are all up to date on patches for Office and Windows.