OptiPlex 745 will not read or execute from CD or DVD drives on any SATA interface, whether at boot or inside WinXP NOTE: the BIOS does report the a drive installed, and the correct manufacturer of optical drive in the "Drives" section.
Various troubleshooting methods tried: (Please read all before responding)
(1) Upgrade to latests BIOS. Downgrade to BIOS several revisions in the past.
(2) Replaced DVD drive with another "known good" from an OptiPlex.
(3) Bought a new LG DVD drive and tried it.
(4) Tried various SATA cables.
(5) Swapped internal HDD and DVD drives and cables between SATA 0 & 1
(6) Enabled SATA port 4. Confirmed SATA port 4 would work with a random SATA HDD, then rebooted PC and tried DVD drive there. No Joy.
(7) Removed BIOS battery and drained system of residual electricity. - -reset BIOS to default values.
(8) Set SATA in BIOS from "Normal" to "Legacy" and back.
In conclusion, when I tried to boot to any bootable cd, the optical drive light blinks about once per second for a short while, and then the BIOS moves to the HDD for the boot process. Of course, if the drive is not recognized at boot, the O/S does not access it either.
I've never seen a SATA interface communicate with HDD's but not optical drives. Any help PLEASE!!