I have a client with an hp laptop and he complained about losing his outlook info. I looked at it and verified that he was starting outlook for the first time. i re-setup the account by way of our exchange server and everything looks ok there. I did notice that there are no programs in the start menu and Mircrosoft office is gone from the Programs list.
I also noticed that the folders for outlook, in windows 7 case is c:\users\owner\Appdata is completely missing. I enabled the hidden file visibility and the system file accessibility and I still can't locate it which I think is crazy. Even nuttier is that when we re-created the outlook account the NK2 file was automatically restored as part of that account.
We use a VPN and that was gone too. When opening IE it was prompting for the first time setup as well. It's like the machine had a stroke or something.
I tried a system restore and no different. Will keep you posted on anything else I notice as I expect LOTS!