With very basic knowledge of Linux and NO Oracle RAC experience I am trying to install and configure Oracle 11g R2 RAC on WMware Server 2.0 running on Windows 7 for educational and testing purpose..
At the moment I have already done the following.
1. Created VMware Virtual Machine
2. Installed Oracle Enterpise Linux 5.5
3. Installed the VMware Tools (synced the host time)
4. Installed the pre-required rpm packages
5. Modified the Kernel parameters
6. Created the Oracle user and groups
7. Modified the /etc/security/limits.conf
8. Configured the Oracle .bash_profile
9. Added 5 independent persistance shared 12GB disks, configured the vmware configuration so they are not locked and restarted the Linux guest.
10.Once guest was up again I discovered the disks and configured with fdisk.
11. Installed the oracleasm* packages matching my kernel
12. Successfully added the disks
# /usr/sbin/oracleasm listdisks
13. copied grid and database setup packages to /u01/app so it is ready to be installed.
Now I think I am only missing one important configuration before going ahead with cloning my first node and going ahead with the Oracle grid and database setup which is the network adapter installation and configuration.
Searching the internet I see some people use 2 network adopters while others use 4 so I am a bit confused.
What I think I do know is that I am going to be asking our IT for 3 DNS entries for my RAC tests.
So I will define my SCAN address perhaps something like VMRAC-SCAN.ourdomain.com and get 3 ip addresses assigned to it.
Could someone now explain how to configure the network adapters, how many and how should they be configured on those two nodes. As detailed as possible would be extremely appreciated. And if something from the above lists is wrong or missing then let me know.
Thanks a lot in advance!