Link to home
Create AccountLog in
Avatar of coralbaycc
coralbayccFlag for United States of America

asked on

SBS 2008 migration from SBS 2003 - source exchange 2003 server entries still present

Hello all.  The migration went quite smoothly, the more of these I do the better it seems to get.  Moved the malboxes and public folders just fine.  Uninstalling Exchange 2003 on the source server gave some erros but uninstalled OK, or so I thought.  Source server was demoted and is now completely offline and retired. SBS 2008 BPA is happy, once I repaired the mostly DNS entries it complained about. However when I run "get-exchangeserver" from the Exchange shell I see botth servers referenced.  And Exchange 2007 BPA shows both the 2003 and 2007 exchange servers. They are listed under First Administrative Group.  The 2003 server entry says Server Name Mismatch and the 2007 entry says that 64bit OS detected and it's missing various dll's and exe's.  I;m pretty sure I can fix this with ADSI editor but I can't find the source server anywhere when I expand the containers.  

Hope I've explained myself and I appreciate any and all help.

Regards,
Steven
Avatar of louisreeves
louisreeves
Flag of United States of America image

This should be pretty straight forward since you dont have to deal with the 2003 server now. Now you should be able to just do a meta-data cleanup on the 2003 box.


That being said, i would probably go through all the " removing the last 2003 server from the Exchange 2007 environment to remove anything you can from the 2007 side. I do not mention any SBS stuff here because there is non to deal with on this problem untill after all the AD items are fixed.

http://www.msexchange.org/articles-tutorials/exchange-server-2007/migration-deployment/removing-last-exchange-2003-server-exchange-2007-part3.html

I randomly gave you part three- but you should look through and do any powershell removals you can. Once you are sure there is no more exchange work to do - you simply remove the 2003 Server from sites and services and replication (on sbs 2008 if present) and all that in the sites and services snap in.

Then you simply perform the metadata cleanup.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/216498

Once the Server is gone from AD then the only issue you have left would be a lingering object. I strrongly doubt this would be a problem but this would be an explanation:

http://jeremyphillips.org/2008/05/fixing-replication-lingering-object-problems/

I can tell you this likely from failure of one of the steps in "removing the last 2003 Exchange server from the 2007 organization. I know because it has happened to me more then once~!



Avatar of coralbaycc

ASKER

Thanks louisreeves for the detailed comment.

I had already followed those steps regarding removing the last exchange server.  used your atricle and also http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb288905(EXCHG.80).aspx.  I had removed the RGC's and changed the OAB generation server.

I think the ssue is with the metadata in the AD however when I use adsiedit the container for the old server doesn't exist.  (on a side note, I also used uksbsguy's recommendation to make the sbs 2008 server appear to be the sbs 2003 server so I'll probably need to reverse that)

I'm "playing" with the ntdsutil but still learning the syntax.

Thanks agan for your help!

I found this article and it seems to be the same as my issue.  I don't see the source 2003 server anywhere in AD, only referenced in Exchange.
I'm out of town until this weekend but I'll follow those steps when I get back and post my findings.

Thanks again!

ASKER CERTIFIED SOLUTION
Avatar of coralbaycc
coralbaycc
Flag of United States of America image

Link to home
membership
Create an account to see this answer
Signing up is free. No credit card required.
Create Account
Issue is resolved