Link to home
Create AccountLog in
Avatar of ToString1

asked on

Add opaque border around an image and add rounded corners

I have adobe CS2 and want to do the following

1.    Add an opaque border around an image identical to the image attached.
2.    If possible (but not essentail)  make the image have rounded corners.

 User generated image
Avatar of Paul Sauvé
Paul Sauvé
Flag of Canada image


You have to do this in 2 steps:

Open your photo and create a new image about 25-30 pixels larger than the photo.

Copy photo and paste into the new image

Round the cormers of the photo )here's how: Making round corner rectangles in Photoshop)

Create a new image and choose Rectangle select tool, then make round corners again.

Use the bucket fill tool and fill the rounded rectangle with a pattern or a solid color

Copy and paste this as a new layer into the new image with the photo

Adjust the "frame" to fit around the image then move the photo layer to the top layer

 User generated image User generated image User generated image
Avatar of ToString1



Thanks very much for your comments!    

I will try your solution out and let you know tomorrow to award points.

That is great!


Is it possible to have the border an opaque colour so you can see the background of the original image underneath?

If you look at the image I posted on my original question you will see what I am trying to achieve

Hi - as i mentioned above:

"Use the bucket fill tool and fill the rounded rectangle with a pattern or a solid color"

It's just that I prefer a pattern. By the way, I used a radius of 15 for the corners... you can adjust to taste!
Hi ToString1

I think you are confusing "opaque" with "semi-transparent".  Opaque means that it is non-see-through, so an opaque border would completely cover everything and you couldn't see "the background of the original image underneath".

It looks to me as though your attached image was created "on the fly" in a web page that used something like a "LightBox" effect (JavaScript and CSS), which is able to control the transparency of the applied "border".

You want the border INSIDE the original image, NOT applied AROUND it?
You want the border semi-transparent (semi-opaque if that is a proper description)?

As Paul has mentioned above, you can use a "flood-fill" of colour, but in so doing just choose a level of transparency for that tool to suit your needs.

What do you want rounded, the INSIDE corners of the actual photo area, the OUTSIDE ones that will be your new frame, or BOTH?

Choices made when rounding off external corners will depend on what background your image will be displayed in.  If the images are to appear on a white web page or document background, then the space between the outside edge of the rounded corners and the edge of the square image can be white, and JPG is file for this.  If the image is to sit on anything other than a white background, then the space referred to should ideally be transparent and PNG would be the preferred format as JPG doesn't support that transparency.

Ahh yes sorry folks it would be "semi-transparent"    

The background webpage as a color of   #323319

So I want to add the border with a semi-transparent effect using that colour.

Just like it is in this image

 User generated image
Not quite the same thing...

Round the cormers of the photo (see above for link)

Create a new image (same size) and choose Rectangle select tool, then make round corners again.

Create a new layer form the existing ractangle and rescale

Use the bucket fill tool and fill the rounded rectangles two different colors, the larger one, the border color and the other, white, say.

Scale the second (white layer) slightly smaller then the border rectangle

Align the two so you see vour new border with a white "image".

Using color select, select the white and delete it

Set the transparency and copy this image in order to paste it as a new layer over the photo

Merge the layers and you get this:
 User generated image
One thing to remember about semi-transparent colours overlaid onto an image so that some of the content shows through, is that it is going to blend colours.  Blending two different colours creates a new colour, as you are no doubt aware, and the hue will change depending on how transparent the overlaid colour is, and how different or bright the colour of the underlying image is in relation to the overlaid colour.  You can end up with a border that changes colour around its circumference, and where some of the content shows through more in some places than in others.

I'll give you an example of this later when I get the chance to mess around a bit.  I need some sleep right now.
Hey thanks folks

I hope question is not too complicated for 500 points.

Aim happy to award and carry on with a follow on question if need be
Avatar of BillDL
Flag of United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland image

Link to home
Create an account to see this answer
Signing up is free. No credit card required.
Create Account

I agree with BillDL, it's not a problem... If you have more questions, shoot!


Thanks folks and a happy new year to ya'll

Will have a play and update post soon