Link to home
Create AccountLog in
Avatar of mattheworifici
mattheworifici

asked on

Cannot access Central Administration Site

I just installed Sharepoint Services 3.0 SP2 on Windows 2008 R2. It completed the configuration wizard but when it launches the central administration site IE shows a HTTP 500 Internal Server Error.

This is an installation of a new Farm and a new databse to a new SQL 2008 R2 server on another server.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have been banging my head for a few days now.

Thanks!
ASKER CERTIFIED SOLUTION
Avatar of Justin Smith
Justin Smith
Flag of United States of America image

Link to home
membership
Create an account to see this answer
Signing up is free. No credit card required.
Create Account
Avatar of mattheworifici
mattheworifici

ASKER

Thank you for your prompt reply.

Unfortunately that did not work. I applied the registry change and rebooted. I cannot access it from either the local server or from remote machines. Are there any special rights that the app pool login needs? It is currently a domain admin account and a sql admin account. However, I may need to give it more rights inside of the local security policy.  
SOLUTION
Link to home
membership
Create an account to see this answer
Signing up is free. No credit card required.
Create Account
"sfaisalawan:check the port number on your share point services are accepting traffic. "

What is the best way to do this? I've confirmed that IIS is using the port that the wizard selected during the initial configuration.
SOLUTION
Link to home
membership
Create an account to see this answer
Signing up is free. No credit card required.
Create Account

Also check if the app_pool a/c is locked or password has expired
Teh App Pool acoun is active. Where can I find the logs you want to see?

Thanks
go to  start - run -type- eventvwr - then check application section you will find the events log which be generated.

you need to check latest error logs.....double click on it and copy and paste here.

 
I checked the App Log and there are no errors.
I also ran a port scan and confirmed that the allocated port is open.
SOLUTION
Link to home
membership
Create an account to see this answer
Signing up is free. No credit card required.
Create Account
No errors in Event logs and I ran the config wizard again to no avail.
SOLUTION
Avatar of Daryl Sirota
Daryl Sirota
Flag of United States of America image

Link to home
membership
Create an account to see this answer
Signing up is free. No credit card required.
Create Account
I'm looking into the reccomended log now.

I am migrating a site over from a server thats about to be decommissioned. I'm not quite ready to upgrade the site to 2010 unless it will maintain the customization.
This is the directory in which I found logs:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12\LOGS

Is that correct?
I have a tone of the following in the current log:

12/28/2010 23:37:14.05       OWSTIMER.EXE (0x04E0)                         0x01F0      Windows SharePoint Services         Timer                               5uuf      Monitorable      The previous instance of the timer job 'Config Refresh', id '{27A75423-73F8-4784-BED8-2C2D162E8C8D}' for service '{DC542008-2C17-4782-A308-B2B0C935D343}' is still running, so the current instance will be skipped.  Consider increasing the interval between jobs.       

It seems to happen constantly and the file keeps growing.

Not other errors exist.
Try clearing the config cache on the new server by:
1. Stopping the OWSTIMER (SharePoint Timer) service
2. delete *only* the *.XML files in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\SharePoint\Config\-guid-    
3. Edit the cache.ini and reset the number to 1. Save and close
4. start the timer service

It's possible the cache was corrupt, and this will allow it to start fresh.
FastFngrz,

I did what you suggested and the page still does not load. I get the same "HTTP 500 Internal Server Error"
Folk,

Thank you for all of your help. I ended up uninstalling WSS 3.0 and deleting the database it created. Then I created a new user account. Gave it the necessary access to the database and logon as batch rights on the webserver. I then renstalled everything and it seems to be working now. The user account I used before was a domain admin so I don't know why it did not work.
Thank you for your help. I split the points between all of you.