Link to home
Create AccountLog in
Avatar of vulture714
vulture714

asked on

laptop does not boot up

I have a Sony VGN-A150 laptop that all of a sudden does not boot up.  I have it plugged into an outlet that I know does work, but I can't see any lights anywhere on the laptop.  I took out the battery for a second after I knew that the power was not coming up.

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot or how to resolve?

Avatar of faizbaig
faizbaig
Flag of United Arab Emirates image

One of the possibility -> laptop adapter is dead.(if you sure, there are no loose connections)
or
connect something else to check power is coming on the wall socket or try connecting laptop on different power socket.
You could try removing the battery for a half an hour and than try turning on again.
Debugging may be very complicated. First step I'd do - check if memory is ok. If you get to ram memory, and if there are two sticks, removing one of them, for testing.

hope it helps.
--artiom
If you can get to it then also remove the CMOS battery for an hour then switch it on without any batteries
Avatar of vulture714
vulture714

ASKER

How do I ge tthe CMOS battery out?  I presently have the battery out and have the power plugged on the outlet.
Avatar of BillDL
Do you think that the battery is likely to be flat (fully discharged), or had you expected there to be power left in it?

Assuming that you believed the battery to be flat, the first troubleshooting step is to make sure that the power adapter/charger is working.  The problem is that they output odd voltages like 17 volts that won't generally match any other electronic devices you may have, so you would really need a simple "multimeter" to test.  The inside of a standard power supply adapter plug is usually positive and the outside negative. Multimeters usually come with "prong" type leads that look like temperature probes for checking if your cooked turkey is about to give you salmonella, which makes it easy enough to insert one into the tip and hold one against the exposed metal bit of the adapter's plug.

No sense in buying one if you're unlikely to ever need it again and if you already know someone with a volt meter, but there are simple and cheap ones available that handle A/C current from 110/230v mains outlets as well as testing the D/C power left in your AAA batteries that may prove useful now and for the future:
http://www.radioshack.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=2032305

If you were pretty sure that the battery should have had some power left in it to at least start booting, and if there is no obvious reason that the power adapter should have packed in, then it is possible that the socket on the laptop is damaged. The power-in socket on a laptop usually works like a switch, so that even if the battery was charged but the socket was damaged, it may not allow the laptop to use the battery as the power source.

Damaged DC power-in sockets are a common problem with laptops, and is the reason so many companies that recyce used computers sell those sockets.  Unless the laptop is an older one and you have the service manual and skills to take the case apart to inspect and potentially de-solder and re-solder a new socket, this is best left to a technician.
If you are a real daredevil (or masochist), and IF the voltage output by the power supply adapter is low (I mean 12 volts and low current), then you can touch your tongue on the plug that goes into the laptop, just like we have all done with those square 9v batteries at some time.  If you hit the roof and your hair stands on end, and if you can't talk for a while due to a thick and unresponsive acrid-tasting tongue, then the adapter is working ;-)
Actually, just ignore that last comment. It was reckless of me to joke about it.

Wiggle the power supply plug in the laptop's socket and see if any lights flicker for a second.  Don't wobble it violently, just check if there is any loose "play" on it which might confirm a bad socket.  Look down the end of the plug in case there is a bit of fluff stuck in there. Slide it in and out several times also, it could be a bit of oxidation on the contacts of the socket.
In case you need it:
Standard Lithium-ion battery (PCGA-BP2EA)
http://laptopsbattery.us/sony-vgp-bp2ea.htm
Power cord & AC adapter (PCGA-AC19V3)
http://laptopsbattery.us/sony-pcga-ac19v3.htm
ASKER CERTIFIED SOLUTION
Avatar of Dhiraj Mutha
Dhiraj Mutha
Flag of United States of America image

Link to home
membership
Create an account to see this answer
Signing up is free. No credit card required.
Create Account
Its not the CMOS battery, its the normal laptop battery I am talking about.
Thanks for the grade.