Link to home
Start Free TrialLog in
Avatar of Belose
Belose

asked on

Outlook / Exchange 2007 Not Receiving Emails

Hi,

We have been having email issues on and off over the last few days. The problem started a few days ago when we realised we weren't receiving emails. A reboot of the server (ie. Server 2003 with Exchange 2007), woud resolve that issue.

Now this morning the sma ething happened but we are not receiving emails after rebooting the server.

Sending a test message to one of the users does not bounce back at all but is not receved by the Exchange server at all.

Can anyone help or point us in the right direction? TIA,

Cheers,
Belose.
Avatar of Calebs_Dad
Calebs_Dad
Flag of United States of America image

Does your email pass through a third party spam filter? or is your MX Records pointed directly to your Exchange server?
Avatar of Belose
Belose

ASKER

Thanks for your reply, MX Record points directly to the server.
Try sending an email to your server using these instructions:

http://www.wikihow.com/Send-Email-Using-Telnet

1.  From the server machine itself.
2.  From another machine to the server on the same network (ideally the same switch).
3.  From somewhere outside your network to the server.

This should tell you where the problem lies.

Ss
ASKER CERTIFIED SOLUTION
Avatar of Alan Hardisty
Alan Hardisty
Flag of United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland image

Link to home
membership
This solution is only available to members.
To access this solution, you must be a member of Experts Exchange.
Start Free Trial
Avatar of Belose

ASKER

Thanks alanhardisty: no Event ID: 15006 or 15007 so it would appear that we are not affected by Backpressure.

Thanks sshah254: going through that process now and I'll report back.
Can you run the following from a command prompt please:

netstat -anbp tcp >c:netstat.txt

Then upload netstat.txt for review please.

You might have something else grabbing hold of TCP Port 25 and this could explain your lack of inbound mail.

Alan
Avatar of Belose

ASKER

Hi Alan,

Thanks for that, please find file attached.

Cheers.
netstat.txt
The problem you have is that msexchangetransport.exe is grabbing your service not edgetransport.exe.

Quick search suggests you might have an infection!

Can you please stop msexchangetransport.exe (via Task Manager) and then restart the Edge Transport Service.

Run the netstat command again and please check to see if the following is still showing:

TCP    192.168.52.1:25        64.78.56.71:11485      ESTABLISHED     3412
  [MSExchangeTransport.exe]

The IP 192.168.52.1:25 should be handled by edgetransport.exe not msexchangetransport.exe
Don't know how safe / reliable this site / information is:

http://www.removefakesoftware.com/file-errors/msexchangetransport.exe.html
Okay - searching an SBS 2008 server shows the msexchangetransport.exe file - so don't panic just yet.

Try stopping the service as I have suggested and then restart edgetransport.
It could also be Anti-Virus interference causing the problem.
Avatar of Belose

ASKER

Hi Alan,

Thanks again. Every time I stop MSExchangeTransport.exe via Task Manager it restarts itself within 5-10 secs - should that be happening?



Avatar of Belose

ASKER

Also, the IP address 64.78.56.71 in

TCP    192.168.52.1:25        64.78.56.71:11485      ESTABLISHED     3412
  [MSExchangeTransport.exe]

Looks as though it belongs to Intermedia.net ... the hosted exchange company ??? Now that has me stumped as we don't have hosted exchange?
No - it should remain stopped.

What AV software is installed on the server?
Avatar of Belose

ASKER

Trend Micro WFBS Adv

Not blacklisted on www.mxtoolbox.com/blacklists.aspx

Listed on a few at www.blacklistalert.org, namely:

l1.apews.org LISTED!
l2.apews.org Listed! (History: Entry created 2010-06-22)
abuse.rfc-ignorant.org LISTED!


SOLUTION
Link to home
membership
This solution is only available to members.
To access this solution, you must be a member of Experts Exchange.
Start Free Trial
Avatar of Belose

ASKER

Thanks heaps for your help Alan, I appreciate it.

It looks as though no service packs have been applied ... Exchaneg version 8.0 (build 685.24) which from memory is the base 2007 Exchange install!!! See attached.

I'll go and update the server now.

I have just started with this company and looks as though I have inherited a major headache!!


ExchangeVersion.JPG
Yep - sounds like Aspirin might come in handy.

At least you know what the issue is!  Not that I have any 100% guaranteed fixes right now - but with everything MS - bring the patches / Service Packs up to date and then see if the problem re-surfaces.

One server that I know is on Exchange 2007 SP3 is showing v 8.3, so it looks like you are Service Pack-less : )

Signing off for the night now.  Catch you in the morning.

Alan
Avatar of Belose

ASKER

Thanks again Alan (and everyone) ... wish me luck!

I'll report back after patching up!

Cheers,
Belose.
Avatar of Belose

ASKER

Hi all,

Just an update - as soon as we updated the server to SP1, symptoms of Backpressure showed. So we followed the instructions in the forum below (thanks Alan) and mail has started flowing correctly!!!

https://www.experts-exchange.com/Software/Server_Software/Email_Servers/Exchange/A_4259-Exchange-2007-2010-Backpressure-Quick-Fix.html

We will update to SP3 and will report back if we have any further issues.

Thanks Alan (and all for you kind help/assistance).

Cheers,
Belose.