Solved

User Access Issues SharePoint 2010 Foundations

Posted on 2011-02-12
3
670 Views
Last Modified: 2012-05-11
We have a SharePoint Foundations site running on Windows 2008R2. We have some strange things happening around permissions/access. Users who could access the site before can no longer. If I go into Web Applications Management from the Central Admin and add a user under User Policy they can then access the site, but the entire site, which is not what we want, but at least they can now access the site.

The strange part is that if I add a new user to Active Directory and then add them to a SP group such as "Team Site Members" they can access the site fine. But any existing user in that same group gets access denied, even if I delete and re-add them to the group.

We did have an issue regarding our Active Directory where it had to be restored, so I think this is somehow related but SP sees the users just fine, seems to add the to groups fine, resolves their names when adding users.

I can't seem to find any logs that point to what is happening when a user gets "Error: Access Denied"

So basically the only way a user can access a site that they used to be able to is if I add them under "User Policy" from Central Admin, Web Applications Management.

Any ideas?
0
Comment
Question by:CANLLC
[X]
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
  • 2
3 Comments
 
LVL 9

Accepted Solution

by:
irinuc earned 500 total points
ID: 34885901
Hi,

from what you explained, it looks to me like it is very possible to be caused by the Active Directory restore.
As a test, you could try and delete an existing user at site collection level (from people and groups) and then try to re-add him in the desired groups.
I suspect that the user GUIDs have changed, so this is why only deleting a user from a group and adding him back would not be sufficient - user needs to be deleted from the entire site collection, so that is added with the proper IDs.
If after this test user is able to access the site as expected, then this is definetelly the cause.

Hope this helps
0
 

Author Comment

by:CANLLC
ID: 34903858
Thanks. That did it. I removed them as you said from the site collection level and re-added them and they now have access.
0
 
LVL 9

Expert Comment

by:irinuc
ID: 34904259
Glad to hear this worked.
0

Featured Post

Industry Leaders: We Want Your Opinion!

We value your feedback.

Take our survey and automatically be enter to win anyone of the following:
Yeti Cooler, Amazon eGift Card, and Movie eGift Card!

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Note:  There are two main ways to deploy InfoPath forms:  Server-side and directly through the SharePoint site.  Deploying a server-side InfoPath form means the form is approved by the Administrator, thus allowing greater functionality in the form. …
We had a requirement to extract data from a SharePoint 2010 Customer List into a CSV file and then place the CSV file into a directory on the network so that the file could be consumed by an AS400 system. I will share in Part 1 how to Extract the Da…
There are cases when e.g. an IT administrator wants to have full access and view into selected mailboxes on Exchange server, directly from his own email account in Outlook or Outlook Web Access. This proves useful when for example administrator want…
Add bar graphs to Access queries using Unicode block characters. Graphs appear on every record in the color you want. Give life to numbers. Hopes this gives you ideas on visualizing your data in new ways ~ Create a calculated field in a query: …

632 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question