Want to protect your cyber security and still get fast solutions? Ask a secure question today.Go Premium

x
  • Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 276
  • Last Modified:

A connection could not be made to the report server

In SQL 2005 Reporting Services, I have made some simple changes to a report.  I just added two columns of data.

Next, I went to Build the report.  I got no errors.  Next, I went to Deploy the report and got the following error:

A connection could not be made to the report server:  https://.........com/Reports
Unable to connect to the remote server.

I do not want to give out the name of the URL.  So, that's why I typed "..." in the URL above.

I can run the report with the two new columns just fine in the Business Intelligence Development Studio.  But, I need to deploy it, so that the SharePoint web site that users use to access this report on a daily basis can see my changes.

This is the first time in the two years that I have been administering these reports that an error like this has happened.  But, over the last few months, some others on my team have been accessing the servers on this network and running updates, etc.  Perhaps, something got "upset".

Thanks!
0
apitech
Asked:
apitech
  • 6
  • 4
1 Solution
 
billwillyerdCommented:
Hello,
Is it just this one report or are any others failing that use the same URL?
0
 
apitechAuthor Commented:
Well, I don't have to deploy the others because I did not make any changes to them.  They all do use the same URL, however.  So, my guess is that they would all have this problem.  I don't want to test that theory, though, for fear of making this problem worse.
0
 
apitechAuthor Commented:
I did try, for the heck of it, re-deploying the .rds in addition to this one .rdl.  I got the same error.
0
VIDEO: THE CONCERTO CLOUD FOR HEALTHCARE

Modern healthcare requires a modern cloud. View this brief video to understand how the Concerto Cloud for Healthcare can help your organization.

 
billwillyerdCommented:
My question was basically related to network connectivity and the ability of the report portal (https server) to see the report server. So, I would start by validating connectivity between the web server and the Report server. Once that is verified, I think you may have solved your issue. It may be related to firewalls settings either 3rd party or MS. Those are the things I would check first.
0
 
apitechAuthor Commented:
So, there's no smoking gun?  The connectivity is there.  I'm not sure what else to do.
0
 
billwillyerdCommented:
Do you have access to both the web and the SQL servers?
If so, make sure in IIS that it the Site is Reports and not ReportServer.
If that fails there is this link with some information you may find useful.
0
 
apitechAuthor Commented:
No luck on any of that.  Anything else?

I don't get why this has happened all of a sudden!  I didn't just create these reports.  They have been working for years, and I have been able to successfully deploy for years.
0
 
billwillyerdCommented:
Without physical access to the system to review the objects, I don't have anything else to add. From past development issues, it will most likely be a variable name, or value that has altered just a bit, or some step in the deployment that needs special attention. I have sung the same song 'it has worked for years' and then found one of the items listed above or something similarly simple that puts your world right again. I guess I can add this, talk one of your team mates through your process, so you have a fresh set of eyes on the page. Sometimes just walking someone else through your process will uncover the issue.
Good luck
0
 
apitechAuthor Commented:
Here is the answer:
So the short story is that the user account SSRSSERVICEACCT had a proxy setting in IE that was attempting to send the traffic out to the proxy service.  The IP address that it was being sent to is the one that was returned every time I attempted to run the deploy routine.
0
 
apitechAuthor Commented:
This was the answer that our internal IT guy came up with and, when he found this and fixed it, I was able to successfully deploy my SQL reports.
0

Featured Post

Free Tool: Path Explorer

An intuitive utility to help find the CSS path to UI elements on a webpage. These paths are used frequently in a variety of front-end development and QA automation tasks.

One of a set of tools we're offering as a way of saying thank you for being a part of the community.

  • 6
  • 4
Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now