?
Solved

SQL connection failing after changing windows built in domain administrators account

Posted on 2011-02-14
7
Medium Priority
?
520 Views
Last Modified: 2012-05-11
I disabled the built in domain administrator account in Active directory and now users cannot connect to a very important the SQL server application.  The application tries to establish a server connection on port 38113 and fails.  When I run the application locally on the server it fails with the error:
"socket connection failed (error code 10061)"
If I re-enable the ID and reboot the server, it works again...If I then disable the ID after that reboot, it continues to work untill the server is rebooted again, then it stops working.  I suspect a connection string needs to be modified somewhere but I don't know where and how to change it.
0
Comment
Question by:lanreo
  • 4
  • 3
7 Comments
 
LVL 7

Expert Comment

by:lundnak
ID: 34892145
What userid are your SQL Server services configured to run under?
0
 

Author Comment

by:lanreo
ID: 34893397
MSSQLSERVER, MSSQLServerADHelper and SQLSERVERAGENT are all running under the Local System Account
0
 
LVL 7

Accepted Solution

by:
lundnak earned 2000 total points
ID: 34896737
Local system gets its privileges from BuiltIn\Administrators.  I would recommend creating domain user to run the services as.

Following the steps in this blog.

http://www.sqldbadiaries.com/2011/02/02/restirct-access-to-local-system-administrators-on-sql-server/
0
VIDEO: THE CONCERTO CLOUD FOR HEALTHCARE

Modern healthcare requires a modern cloud. View this brief video to understand how the Concerto Cloud for Healthcare can help your organization.

 

Author Comment

by:lanreo
ID: 34898195
I've done all the steps in the blog above except removing the "Builtin\Administrators" group from Systems admin role in SQL, I even rebooted the server and I still have the same problem, the client application still does not connect.  I have a feeling there's a file somewhere on the server where it's hardcoded to use a certain "domain\userid" to connect.....please help !!!
0
 

Author Comment

by:lanreo
ID: 34898586
I figured out the problem; the SQL client application was running under a service account that was using the disabled ID....I changed that ID and all worked fine, thanks for your help all the same ..
0
 
LVL 7

Expert Comment

by:lundnak
ID: 34899587
Good deal.  I didn't think about checking the client settings.
0
 

Author Closing Comment

by:lanreo
ID: 34925273
The hints you gave me led to my finding the solution for my issue
0

Featured Post

Get expert help—faster!

Need expert help—fast? Use the Help Bell for personalized assistance getting answers to your important questions.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Instead of error trapping or hard-coding for non-updateable fields when using QODBC, let VBA automatically disable them when forms open. This way, users can view but not change the data. Part 1 explained how to use schema tables to do this. Part 2 h…
Exchange database can often fail to mount thereby halting the work of all users connected to it. Finding out why database isn’t mounting is crucial and getting the server back online. Stellar Phoenix Mailbox Exchange Recovery is a champion product t…
Video by: Steve
Using examples as well as descriptions, step through each of the common simple join types, explaining differences in syntax, differences in expected outputs and showing how the queries run along with the actual outputs based upon a simple set of dem…
The Relationships Diagram is a good way to get an overall view of what a database is keeping track of. It is also where relationships are defined. A relationship specifies how two tables connect to each other. As you build tables in Microsoft Ac…

621 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question