Link to home
Start Free TrialLog in
Avatar of Barry Sweezey
Barry SweezeyFlag for United States of America

asked on

Error using Saved Imports in Access 2007

I've created saved imports that fail when I try to use them.  I've created them and used them right away and they worked.  They fail when I try again. I have three versions of one saved.  Here are the errors from each:
1. "Z0ANALYSIS_PATTERN 3 $" is not a valid name.  Make sure that it does not include invalid characters or punctuation and that it is not too long.

2. "Import$" is not a valid...

3. The one I just created works.

It seems like the Saved Import works for the file I used to create it, but fails with the next one.

The Excel file was created by SAP BI; the query result was exported to Excel.  The name of the worksheet is Z0ANALYSIS_PATTERN 4.  I tried changing the name of the worksheet to "Import"; I think that's why error #2 contains the string "Import$".  I suppose the invalid character the error is referring to is "$", but that's not in the worksheet name.
Avatar of Bill Ross
Bill Ross
Flag of United States of America image

Hi Barry,

The first time a saved import is created irt runs from the script.  Subsequent runs are pulled from the saved script so if the script does not save correctly then there are problmes.  I would suggest removing the $ and any other non standard characters from your naming.  Make sure your tables and file names are scrubbed of special characters as well.

That should make it work.

regards,

Bill
Hi again,

As a follow up - remove spaces as well from both table/field names and file names.

Bill
Avatar of Jeffrey Coachman
And just to be sure, get rid of the underscore as well.
ASKER CERTIFIED SOLUTION
Avatar of Barry Sweezey
Barry Sweezey
Flag of United States of America image

Link to home
membership
This solution is only available to members.
To access this solution, you must be a member of Experts Exchange.
Start Free Trial
Avatar of Barry Sweezey

ASKER

I regard this as a work around.
I agree.  It would be nice if either Microsoft fixed the bug or somebody found a reliable "automated work-around", i.e., no "paste every day" step.