On an XP peer to peer network with 10 pc's running, the following events occurred in the last week.
1.HP Laserjet 2300 USB printer was connected to a Linksys print server and had been shared on 10 XP boxes for six years and worked perfect.
2. The Laserjet 2300 died, so I replaced it with an HP Laserjet P3015 that has a network connection.
3. I put a static IP on the printer and installed it on 10 XP boxes. They all worked perfect for a few days.
4. XP box #1 started having a problem printing basic excel XP (2002) spreadsheets to it. Email was printable without any problem.
5. XP Box #1 developed a problem that stopped Excel from starting and it wanted the Office XP CD to repair files. We couldn't find it so I uninstalled office XP and instaled Office 2007 std. Office worked fine, but it still would not print to the Laserjet P3015.
6. Today when printing to the Laserjet 3015 from XP Box#1, the system grinds to a halt and won't print. I uninstalled the HP driver and software, rebooted and reinstalled it. Nothing changed. All other XP boxes work perfect.
Now on XP #1, the Windows print spooler service dies when trying to print anything and the app printing to it dies. (word, excel, outlook).
When I put the cursor over the print icon, it says it has one document to print. When I open it, no documents are listed.