Go Premium for a chance to win a PS4. Enter to Win

x
  • Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 297
  • Last Modified:

Issues with Exchange 2003sbs receiving

I have a site that cannot receive emails.  It's running SBS2003 and their combined data store siizes are 32gb.  Safe to assume that this is the issue?

I've had them clean out their outlooks but need to run a maintenance on the databases to flush them.  Can anyone direct me?
0
creativenetworks
Asked:
creativenetworks
  • 7
  • 4
  • 4
2 Solutions
 
Alan HardistyCommented:
Are all their services started?  Are the mailstores mounted?

Has the database hit a limit and has dismounted as a result?

Is port 25 open and forwarded happily on their router / firewall?

Can you visit www.canyouseeme.org and test port 25 please - do you see SUCCESS?

Any Application Event Log Errors for the MSExchangeIS?
0
 
creativenetworksAuthor Commented:
Services are started (system attendant) they can send and receive internally and can send externally but not receive.

The combined database sizes report back at 35215 mb.

Port 25 shows success.

Following error repeats in event log:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/820379
Failed to create a new named property for database "First Storage Group\Mailbox Store (SERVER)" because the number of named properties reached the quota limit (8192).
 User attempting to create the named property: "Administrator"
 Named property GUID: 00020386-0000-0000-c000-000000000046
 Named property name/id: "X-corporatepages-MailScanner"
0
 
Alan HardistyCommented:
Okay - please check your IP Address is what you think it is!  www.whatismyip.com

Then check your MX records point to the IP Address from whatismyip on www.mxtoolbox.com
0
What is SQL Server and how does it work?

The purpose of this paper is to provide you background on SQL Server. It’s your self-study guide for learning fundamentals. It includes both the history of SQL and its technical basics. Concepts and definitions will form the solid foundation of your future DBA expertise.

 
oneitnzCommented:
Hi I don't believe that the 32GB is the problem. Firstly the default limit for 2003 Exchange was 18GB and this can be increased with a registry edit and installing SP2 for Exchange.

Please check if your running Exchange 2003 SP2 and then go here Microsoft Exchange 2003 SP2 Database Size Fix and apply the registry edit if you haven't done so yet.

Next we'll need to check if your Exchange Services are still running under services.msc
0
 
creativenetworksAuthor Commented:
Whatismyip reports back correctly

MX record shows as 0.0.0.0. Even though there is an MX entry in GoDaddys DNS table for them.
0
 
oneitnzCommented:
Hi creativenetworks

Please see this fix here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb851495(EXCHG.80).aspx
This is caused by too many named headers from emails. I would suggest you double it and then if it happens again in the future look into what is causing all these Mail Headers.
0
 
creativenetworksAuthor Commented:
found that the @ record in Godaddy DNs table was not defined.  once I added it and rechecked mxtoolbox.com, it reported back correctly and they are receiving emails.

Is there another issue with too many named headers based on my earlier info?  I thought maybe they had maxed on their database size and they are throwing away old emails, etc.
0
 
oneitnzCommented:
No you have not maxed out your mailbox store but you should definitely check to make sure that you have Exchange 2003 SP2 installed and the correct Registry Edit from my first post.

You should also follow the directions at the bottom of my previous post to monitor the Named Properties value and follow the fix from Microsoft to increase this value.
0
 
Alan HardistyCommented:
It's not the best error to be having, but is not related to your mail-flow issues.  It is usually related to X-Headers in emails and running out of space to add new ones.

You can up the limit by following the link in the MS article KB820379 and that should stop it complaining, but the source of the problem may be Anti-Virus software adding x-headers to emails and every time Exchange sees a new one - it adds it to the list and then hits the limit.
0
 
Alan HardistyCommented:
Glad the GoDaddy issue is resolved.  MX's are one of the usual culprits.
0
 
creativenetworksAuthor Commented:
Well I thought I had this issue resolved, but was just notified that they cannot receive email again.

I checked the mxtoolbox.com and it is resolving correctly.  Any ideas?

Thanks,
0
 
oneitnzCommented:
Did you try my suggestion about increasing the quota limit?
0
 
creativenetworksAuthor Commented:
Not yet.  I tried to reboot the server remotely and it has not come up.  I'm assuming that something is amiss and will post again tomorrow after a (hopefully successful) reboot.
0
 
creativenetworksAuthor Commented:
Server rebooted this morning and we are able to send but not receive.  Database is mounted and port 25 is open.
0
 
creativenetworksAuthor Commented:
It was a DNS issue which I'll address under a separate post.  I did run the fixes above and the errors ceases in the error log with regard to size limitations.
0

Featured Post

Nothing ever in the clear!

This technical paper will help you implement VMware’s VM encryption as well as implement Veeam encryption which together will achieve the nothing ever in the clear goal. If a bad guy steals VMs, backups or traffic they get nothing.

  • 7
  • 4
  • 4
Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now