Link to home
Create AccountLog in
Avatar of digisel
digiselFlag for United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

asked on

Is there a solution to this xmls and Excel problem?

I have spent four hours working on an Excel file consiting of 55,000 lines, the Stats file.
I saved every ten minutes or so.
I then opened a number of other Excel database files to extract information.
My Stats file has disappeared in Excel format, nowhere to be found on the hard drive.
There is an xml file which I cannot convert to a .xls file
So I am faced with losing more than four hours of work.
Any sugestions please??
Avatar of SiddharthRout
SiddharthRout
Flag of India image

I am not sure that I can help but May I see that file?

Sid
SOLUTION
Avatar of Michael Fowler
Michael Fowler
Flag of Australia image

Link to home
membership
Create an account to see this answer
Signing up is free. No credit card required.
Create Account
Avatar of digisel

ASKER

I have found the reason.   The Excel file was being saved as stats.xls.xml

I have worked with Excel many years and never encountered this before.
I have tried renaming it to stats.xls.   BUt it just defaults to Internet Explorer which tries to find a solution.
I think I am going to have to abandon it.
SOLUTION
Link to home
membership
Create an account to see this answer
Signing up is free. No credit card required.
Create Account
ASKER CERTIFIED SOLUTION
Avatar of telyni19
telyni19
Flag of United States of America image

Link to home
membership
Create an account to see this answer
Signing up is free. No credit card required.
Create Account
Avatar of digisel

ASKER

Thanks to everyone for their time and interest.
Telynit19 produced the solution:   I opened the file from within Excel and it loaded fine.   I had tried Open With before getting onto EE but it did not work.
For future ref for all, the file had been saved as stats.xls.xml.
Anyway thanks again