This is a SBS 2008 with SharePoint v3.0 installed.
While trying to do some additional configuration on our Sharepoint site I noticed the task on Administrator Tasks that said
Central Administration application pool account should be unique...
I googled this phrase and then followed the instructions on these two sites:
Which means basically that I
1. Created a new user account. Removed any group memberships it had
2. Ran these three commands
stsadm -o updatefarmcredentials -userlogin spch\wssuser -password <ubercoolpassword>
stsadm -o updateaccountpassword -userlogin spch\wssuser -password <ubercoolpassword> -noadmin
stsadm -o spsearch -farmserviceaccount spch\wssuser -farmservicepassword <ubercoolpassword>
All three finished with no errors
3. Restarted IIS and the sharepoint services
The sharepoint site appears to be working fine, but when I try to open the SharePoint 3.0 Centeral Administration site I get this message:
Cannot Connect to the Configuration Database
I have spent hours googling this and can't come up with much. What do I need to do to fix this or at the very least revert the user back to the Network Service so that everything is back to how it was.
Security updates were installed a month ago, but when I run a new check for updates I notice that the following are NOT installed and need to be, but at this point I don't want to until this is fixed, unless someone knows that this will actually fix this issue.
- Windows Internal Database Service Pack 3
- Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 Service Pack 2
- Update Rollup 5 for Small Business Server (I can't tell which Rollups are installed, though the BPA says Rollup 4 is not installed either)