zones gone in DNS, cannot make new ones
Posted on 2011-02-20
Background; small AD student lab, one main server1 that worked fine, one 'backup' server2 that has not been working correctly. I wanted to make server2 the main server so wanted to make it a DC, full replication etc. and swap over completely later. In troubleshooting that one I found that it had partially replicated. It was listed as a DC and had a few of the lab's comps listed. I can ping its FQDN, and back and forth.
Server1 had forward and reverse zones; server2 did not have a reverse zone and I could not create one; msg 'zone cannot be replicated...required application directory does not exist. Only entereprise admins (which I am) have permissions to create...'
In trying to run tools like dcdiag on both I eventually got to adsiedit. there were some early incorrect IP addys on server2, which I made when first booting the machine. I had changed those, and they resolved correctly back and forth. I deleted the old bad entries. I then left and server1 ran updates and rebooted. Today I could not login to server1; see other thread. That seems now fixed and I can login, to both and as domain admin. But dns now on Both servers is showing no zones and I cannot create them. I get the same msg as above.
Both servers show many instances of two errors, 4000 and 4013. Earlier server1 did not have errors. There is no info about those errors. Google shows that others have had this issue but I have been unable to find a cure.
I have read that dns can be installed After AD, but I think this is where server2 had its issue, when I changed its IP and tried various things to reconnect it to the domain including unisntalling dns and reinstalling, so I am not eager to do that to server1.
It seems that the domain is partially connected as the pw change which I did from a command line worked for both servers... and I can RDC to both, by name and using the one pw I gave to domain admin acct. But the student accounts cannot login, and trying to reconnect a lab comp to the domain says 'target name (domain name) is incorrect'.
edit; ran dcdiag; server1
Starting test: Connectivity
The host 0fb7f653-a124-4033-95bb-6b711a0b950f._msdcs.xxx.local co
uld not be resolved to an
IP address. Check the DNS server, DHCP, server name, etc
Although the Guid DNS name
be resolved, the server name xxx.xxx..local) resolved to
the IP address (10.30.115.50) and was pingable. Check that the IP
address is registered correctly with the DNS server.
.........................xxx failed test Connectivity
Doing primary tests
Testing server: xxx
Skipping all tests, because server xxx is
not responding to directory service requests
Then all other tests, crossvalidation, forestdns zones, domain dns zones, schema, partions, all pass.
warning; DcGetName call failed. error 1355
"A KDC could not be located All the KDCs are down"
failed test Fsmocheck